Walmart Receipt Checker Has a Voice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“No one is suspecting you of stealing …”

That is precisely what they are doing and that, to the honest folk not stealing, is insulting.

WM/Sam’s need to put stickers (like their obnoxious “happy face logo”) on items not in a bag so their risk management personnel at the door are not tasked with asking anyone with two 12 packs of Negra Modelo if they stole it,

Put everything in a bag (get bigger bags if needed) or give it a sticker and post a sign that says people with items not bagged or do not have a sticker will be asked to kindly show their receipt.

That and actually manning the surveillance cameras on every aisle would create better goodwill and minimize loss from theft.

Yeah, and for the record, replying "No you may not" is not "taking an attitude" or anything of the sort.

Hawkstar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good morning, I came across this post this morning. This was posted in a Muskogee forum, but it certainly applies to all of us. These folks are employees, and very likely would have a very difficult time finding employment elsewhere. Just be Polite, the world has enough jerks.

I would like to make a gentle Public Service Announcement.

I know personally, every single person that works the front doors at WalMart in Muskogee, and I want to explain some things, and why we're checking receipts.

1. If there is anything outside of a bag, we are supposed to check the receipt for it.

2. No one cares if you're white, brown, black, pink, polka dotted, or a one eyed one horned flying purple people eater, we have to see your receipt to verify neither your or the cashier missed something in your cart.

3. Water is the BIGGEST loss simply due to it being at the bottom of the cart and often missed.

4. It's extremely important that you acknowledge where we live. No one is suspecting you of stealing anything, but in this town, theft is EXTREMELY common. If it weren't, I wouldn't have a job.

I don't care, nor do any of the co workers care what is in your cart, where you checked out, what you look like or who you are, we only.care that we don't get in trouble for not doing our job.

Also, we don't catch every single person, and if the person in front of you was waved through and happened to have some soda in their cart, it's possible that person was already there and went back for something, or there is someone coming right behind you guys with a large amount of stuff and we're prioritizing time to keep the line moving, OR they checked out in self check out at one of three that I and most of us can see from the front door and we observed them scan everything. I do that a lot to save time if I can.

I'm not trying to make you mad, and it REALLY hurts my feelings and my co workers' feelings when you guys snap at us or make a scene, or refuse to show your receipt putting us in an impossible position. It takes two seconds to stop and let us verify. They do it at Sam's Club and y'all don't care, why do you care about it at WalMart?

Please, Muskogee people, be nice to us door greeters. We're not trying to make you mad, and absolutely not racist.

We're in danger of being hurt and get cussed at and yelled at and threatened daily.

It costs nothing to be nice.

I love you all, and I am not mad. I just believe we're all capable of better.
After reading the first 10 pages of this thread at this current time I'm left with a few thoughts. But two stick out more than the rest. When I get to the exit door of any store I'm ready to leave not prove that I should be allowed to leave. I'm not rude or overly excited just have a nice day and on my way. That whole receipt checking thing wouldn't be much different than a cop turning on a of his/ her whooptydoo lights driving down a highway and waiting to see who pulled over first. Its just throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks. Next is all of the replys about being rude and listing off reasons a person would have that job. Guess what I don't care why anyone has a particular job just happy about the gainful employment . Its their job none of my business . Walmart used to have a handful of employees that just watched the lanes making sure scumbags didn't steal stereos or whatever. If my purchase doesn't fit in the small bags use the great big bags that you keep hidden. Treating a customer with respect is just as important as treating an employee with respect. Saw a lady spend what was more than likely her last$30 for the week on groceries and her and her two kids were stopped at the door to check receipts because the cashier didn't bag the toilet paper she was embarrassed because of course everyone wanted to see the shoplifter.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your not doing wrong it shouldn't bother you. it is a pain. but unfathomable amounts of stuff walks out of walmart to the point a billion dollar company can't tolerate it . something is seriously wrong. get a job people pay your own way. all your doing is costing me money i work 60 hrs a week and am tired of paying for other people. if you need a sandwich all you got to do is ask!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your not doing wrong it shouldn't bother you. it is a pain. but unfathomable amounts of stuff walks out of walmart to the point a billion dollar company can't tolerate it . something is seriously wrong. get a job people pay your own way. all your doing is costing me money i work 60 hrs a week and am tired of paying for other people. if you need a sandwich all you got to do is ask!

Yeppers...

...just check to where homeless encampments are located. While we were doing a little job in Austin back early this year, we were astounded by the number of "homeless" living under the overpasses and elevated roadways. Many of them were very close to a Walmart Supercenter. (I wonder why?)

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
No Exit Checkers at the Vinita Walmart anymore.

When the store had the Exit Checkers our response was usually predicated by how our day had progressed. On a good day a simple no or a hand wave bye, on a crappy day; get lost or you ain't touching none of my stuff or may a one finger salute.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, and for the record, replying "No you may not" is not "taking an attitude" or anything of the sort.
The problem is that many people do not take that nice "No you may not" road, but instead, scream F . . k you' or ' 'get outa my face', or even get physical. I've seen it happen on several occasions [when I used to shop at Wally World] and it's not right to 'attack' the Greeter for doing the job they are mandated to do.

To have an attitude that 'they' are assuming that I am a thief because they ask to see my receipt, is no different than having an attitude that 'they' are assuming that I am a thief because they are watching me using on-floor security personnel or with hidden cameras while I shop (which is probably not actually happening unless I give them a reason to do so).

If I can pay less (not just at Wally World) for an item because the retailer is actively taking a stance to lower retail theft, then I will gladly help with that endeavor knowing that in the 'Bigger Picture' it's benefiting me personally.

I've never been accused of theft, never arrested for theft, never convicted of theft, nor ever been punished for theft, so I don't know, maybe I'm just not as sensitive about the idea of being checked on as others are :scratch:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the walmarts receipt checker is assuming you're a thief for asking for your receipt, does that mean that if you lock up your utility trailer you assume everyone that walks by it is a thief?

I don't mind locks, on **** that belongs to me and **** that don't. I don't think locks stop thieves either. Locks keep honest people honest. I look at the receipt checkers in the same light. Besides, I'm just not that fragile to let something like that get my goat. If I'm in a hurry and get asked, I'll smile really big and politely deny their kind & generous request, but I'm not gonna be even a little hostile or rude.

Different strokes for different folks. If everyone was the same the world would be a pretty dull place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom