Walnut media HF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased with a 20% off coupon a 25lb box of fine walnut blast media from Harbor Freight.
Took that coupon and a get something free coupon and left there and it cost me $19.98 out the door.
Not bad media at all.
I was using Lizard bedding from petsmart and this HF media is the same size by looking at it with my eyes and the HF is like Zero dust.
Maybe I got a dusty bag from Pet smart.
I waited for the 20% off coupon. :)

I have not tumbled with dry media for a couple years.. I have been pin cleaning.
The dry takes longer does not remove all carbon from inside cases but clean enough.

One thing I did notice is the cases are really smooth with this media.
I have very dry hands all the time and picking up slick things is tough or cardboard boxes as they slide through my hands unless I get under them.

These cases want to slide through my fingers.
I have not sized any yet.. need to anneal and brush first.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.223 and some 45acp so far.
I have to clean my steel and aluminum cases in dry media. especially the aluminum as citric acid solution will eat the aluminum until it is GONE.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started using walnut and there is no dust really with the stuff I got. It was off of Midway for $10 for 7lbs. I just started using a tumbler so I really dont have anything to compare it to but I dont have to pick the corn husk out of the flash hole like I do when my buddy tumles my stuff.
Sounds like a good deal on the HF stuff. I was going to go by there and get some but I had to place a Midway order anyway.
Their "pistol" cases are nice. I got a few for friends for Christmas.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using walnut with a capful of Nu-finish, and a half cap of mineral spirits.

First I just wash the brass in hot water with a squirt of dish soap. That gets probably 90% of the dirty junk off the brass, and keeps the walnut cleaner. Lay the brass out in the sun to dry, into the tumbler.

The brass comes out very clean, with a slightly slick coat from the NuFinish. Easier to run through the dies.

Works for me.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased with a 20% off coupon a 25lb box of fine walnut blast media from Harbor Freight.
Took that coupon and a get something free coupon and left there and it cost me $19.98 out the door.
Not bad media at all.
I was using Lizard bedding from petsmart and this HF media is the same size by looking at it with my eyes and the HF is like Zero dust.
Maybe I got a dusty bag from Pet smart.
I waited for the 20% off coupon. :)

I have not tumbled with dry media for a couple years.. I have been pin cleaning.
The dry takes longer does not remove all carbon from inside cases but clean enough.

One thing I did notice is the cases are really smooth with this media.
I have very dry hands all the time and picking up slick things is tough or cardboard boxes as they slide through my hands unless I get under them.

These cases want to slide through my fingers.
I have not sized any yet.. need to anneal and brush first.

Which store did you go to?

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Left to right - untouched range brass, center - de-capped & washed (and primer pocket reamed), right - tumbled/finished.
P1010139.JPG

Hard to tell in the pic, because I'm not a photog, but the tumbled brass is as shiny as jewelry. Two hours in the Lyman tumbler with walnut, NuFinish, and mineral spirits. The washed (non-tumbled) brass is perfectly acceptable to reload, but I'm in no hurry, so I tumble it.

Come to that, for many years I had no tumbler, and didn't even wash brass. I just wiped it with a damp rag, and loaded.

Latest posts

Top Bottom