Walther PPK - safety tripping on while shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's always a chance. But I don't think so. Either way; you'll notice a shorter #3 and a longer #5; the OAL is a tiny bit longer with the new setup than with the older...I think all is going to be good. And, Walthers have been made by a lot of people over the years too. So. There is that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So; after further review, and thinking back to all the crap I've broken and ruined over the years by doing it the Marine Corps way, I decided to just be cool and think it through rather than beating it with a 8 lb. sledge.
3673df343632efd855eecfdb6a9ff0ec.jpg

So I thought about it. I put the safety in the frame; then, stuck a piece of a long, straight piece of a thin metal rod in from the aft end of the extractor, measuring carefully to the back of the rounded extractor hole. Then I compared that to my spring and plunger set up. The parts were a bit longer but compressed, my trained eye said "It will fit". So I de-greased my mitts and worked at it carefully and then...SNICK! Everything clicked in place! Yes! I did it. Function check: Took it to the Range and put 100 rounds of FMJ and 25 of Hornady Critical Defense through it and it was perfect. She ran great and has earned her spot in my safe and as my dress pistol. I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A simpler, albeit more expensive fix, would have been to get a Sig P230 or P232...
View attachment 106783

Oh believe me when I say that I argued long and hard with both Q and M about that, but the higher-ups always seem to make the decision on a pistol for the troops in every case. I agree with you on the fact that the Sig is overall a better pistol in many respects, not all mind you, however...it's still not a PPK, but a copy, according to Q, so we secret agent types got that as our issued pistol. There are other copies or clones of the PP Series, such as the CZ-50/70, the FEG Pa-63, the Makarovs, and the Bersa Thunder. In my mind, the Sig leads the pack of pistols styled after the PPK however.
242fa438dae78258690ffb3185a0ce39.jpg

As far as expense is concerned, the PP series pistols today can in some cases, command a price in the $2,000 range. Not this particular one, mind you, but if we could find one with the Nazi proof marks and the original mottled brown Bakelite grips, in .32 ACP, complete with box and papers, it would be a treasure trove.
2430c8a616d067b7cb97c12e93d5fcc4.png

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The decocker/safety on my PPK/s is EXTREMELY hard to turn, so much so that I don't use it. When I want to decock, I use my thumb on the hammer..

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, mine is the same way now and I also decock my using my thumb. I have figured out that the replacement parts are intentionally a bit larger than you really need so fitting of the parts can be done in this area. In other words, if I take the spring and plungers back out, and trim a coil or two off the spring or carefully file down the safety plunger a little bit, I could make it fit a bit looser, and the safety/decocking lever would turn a little easier. However, I do not like an external safety on a pistol, unless it's a 1911, and I do not want to accidentally drive it down or push it down to SAFE by thumb pressure or otherwise when firing, so I think I will leave it alone and as is. It's very tightly held in there now, and I like that. If I decock the pistol by hand, and carry it in DA, I'm looking at about 13.5 lbs on the trigger, so I feel at least as safe as when carrying a Glock with 5.5 lbs (or less). Not that this pistol will see much time on my hip as a CCW weapon, but when I have to dress up, or when the commie spies are plotting a world takeover or something, I will be able to efficiently dispatch them with my cool and purty little Walther PPK/S.

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One more thing regarding the .380 ACP as a CCW weapon. Were I to just want a .380 strictly for this purpose, I would have to go with this gun, the Kimber Micro Carry.
f91ccbb9436ce6495063d228786fdc29.jpg

My wife bought this last year and it has been an exceptionally reliable and easy to carry little pistol. It's darned accurate too. And it weighs under a pound. It is an awesome little gun that looks like a mini-1911. It has a 7 rd mag, like the larger and heavier PPK/S, and even though its lighter, it had less felt recoil than the PPK or PPK/S due to them being blowback pistols and the Sig Micro uses the locking breech design. I bought a spare set of black grips for it:
084e7ae9a86afc46e5ead3972c6046ca.jpg

I really like this little gun, itself a Copy of the little Colt .380, as is the Sig P238. So, why do I even want to mess with a heavier, larger Walther? Cause they are iconic, old school pistols made in a day when skilled men sat behind a crowded workbench and painstakingly fitted firearms together for those who might need to carry them in harms way. The Walther PP Series was designed and first built in 1929. Don't know about the Sig P230/232 without my cousin Google's help. They (Walther PP Pistols) have an Art Deco look to me, and of course, almost everyone thinks of this guy when you think about or see a Walther PPK. How can you not like it? You would have to be a commie spy!
ff23e24190a3cd097dc60575c55b2fb4.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom