Wanenmacher Report - anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's suggested the show conflicted with a football game? Maybe. But we're comparing attendance with past shows. For the last 8 years we've had a Manchurian Candidate President who absolutely did marvelous things for the gun industry. Now we have a President, something we haven't had for the prior 28 years.

That aside, I ride a motorcycle and play guitar. On my motorcycle and guitar forums the observation concerning the future of those activities is discussed. The new generation of males, millennials we call them, have zero interest in historically masculine activities. For the most part.

Their music is digital. They go to clubs and there's one guy with a sound system and a million music discs. Live bands are rare for that demographic.

They don't much like motorcycles. From what I read, they don't even drive. They also don't work, live at home, spend their time playing computer games, etc. And the American motorcycle market is suffering.

Ditto the above with guns. It's just not an activity they're (as a national demographic) interested in.

Anyway, that's my take on anthropological and demographical trends. I think my grandsons are going to find killer deals on firearms when they grow up. I also think they're not going to be much interested in guns when they grow up.

I'll say that "kids" never significantly drove gunshow numbers and sales. The Wanne has been going downhill in quality vendors for years. Got really bad in the second Obama administration IMO. For many in Tulsa, the gunshops are so good (IMO) that unless you're looking for something rare, you're better off not going. Even if you are looking for something rare, it seems that vendors are trying to make their mortgage off one sale. I used to know of a few good mag vendors that would come from Texas every year. I'd buy $200+ worth of mags from him every time, he also carried all sort of grips. Stopped coming. C&S used to show up and I'd pick up 1911 parts. Stopped coming. Some holster and knife guys I'd always look for..... again.... stopped coming. I'll say it's the internet causing the demise because the vendor can sell and ship without hauling all their product to one place. The consumer has the ability to get EXACTLY what you want and not pay through the nose for it. Surely there are deals walking around but it's nothing like it used to be. JMO.

To the rest...
From what I've seen......"Millennials" do more live music than even my generation. You can look at large live music festivals for reference, SXS is HUGE now, Austin City Limits had to add another weekend and they still sellout, couple this with the fact that band have to tour nowadays because lucrative record deals have gone bye bye.

As far as motorcycles go, I don't know much but damn they are expensive now. Probably has a LOT to do with a lack of following. Seems the "car" scene is still going strong.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sold the gun I took with me and used remarkable restraint in coming home empty handed. Actually I didn't see anything that really lit me up....well, I did fall in love with a Colt Ace, but it was outta my fence. Was looking for a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62X39 but didn't see nary a one.

Meet Adamsredlines (helluva nice fella) saw some old friends and generally had a good time.

Vendor tables we're definitely down significantly and the crowds we're smaller.

Last edited:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't find what I was looking for (Beretta PX4 .40 compact) but saw a lot of interesting items. Had a 1/4 hot dog covered in pulled pork and cheese (probably gonna regret that later). Enjoyed myself though I ended up not buying anything.
I might be mistaken but I thought I saw the firearm your looking for listed here on OSA just the other day.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My gf and I went this morning. I took a pair of Uberti Schofields to sell, and she wore my CAS gun belt to carry the pistols around the show. I must say, she did a great job with the presentation ;) After being stopped by a number of tire kickers and door slammers who obviously just wanted to chat with her, a vendor bought the pistols. I was kind of looking for a S&W 329 Night Guard, but as I expected, I spotted none being sold. I’d have been surprised if I had. Picked up a Tactical Girls calendar, and my gf got a huge kick out of one of the models signing it with the comment “you have a hott [sic] wife!” I got a sock in the arm when I looked around and said, “Where?” :slap: Also picked up the latest copy of the Blue Book and a nice leather belt, and she got custom ear molds for work, and we both had excellent, if pricey, chorizon bratwursts from a vendor on the far east end. We stayed about five hours, and had a good time looking around. Wonder what next spring will bring...

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The tactical girls did not like my comment that I bet they never really shoot. Because hot brass down those pushup things would have left them all marked up. Show was pretty crappy unsold tables. People selli g junk and vendors packing up by 11:00 am. Did get a nice deal on a Legion 229 and a SIG 225A though.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went back this morning and sold one rifle, and had to tote the other one back home. Did get a case of PMC Bronze .223 for $230 which was pretty good, a Galco shoulder rig for a J-frame for $40 which I didn't think was too bad, and a couple more ammo cans. Couldn't locate the Vz 52/57 I saw yesterday, but then wasn't prepared (then or today) to pay him what he wanted for it. Someone must have scarfed it up.

As for the kids and "manly" things; my 14 year old just got his motorcycle permit, and will be cleared to ride to school at the end of this month - he swears he's going to do it, cold be damned. I'll be waiting to see how long that lasts....LOL! My 17 year old plays the hell out of guitar and keyboards, is somewhat into amateur radio, and they both like guns, hunting, and shooting. But it is true, many of the 20-somethings at work go to "concerts" where some idiot runs a couple of turntables, plays electronic "music", and have giant screens full of colors and shapes to mess with the minds of all the kids taking MDMA. Too bad.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter got six LEGO figures and I bought everyone in my house a ten foot iPhone cable. The only gun related I items I bought were an HK P30 mag a Colt logoed frisbee. It was good to get a day out with my daughter and we made home in time to see OU pull off the win.

Latest posts

Top Bottom