Want To Join Red Castle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not a real answer or a productive response.
First off. Not trying to bad mouth or be defensive. Red Castle a hard club to get in to. When you are a member you should feel privileged you got in. Do you want to be a member of a club that will let any ol' person in? I know I dont. If you are already a member consider yourself lucky like the rest of us and enjoy your time spent out there. If not rethink why you want to be a member there. If thats not good enough USSA is closer to you anyways

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off. Not trying to bad mouth or be defensive. Red Castle a hard club to get in to. When you are a member you should feel privileged you got in. Do you want to be a member of a club that will let any ol' person in? I know I dont. If you are already a member consider yourself lucky like the rest of us and enjoy your time spent out there. If not rethink why you want to be a member there. If thats not good enough USSA is closer to you anyways
I think it was just his first experience at something above bobs gun range and tire shop.
Biggest entry quals there are cash.
Curiousness about why took over from there.
Anyone who can recall the days of finding 223 brass on the rimfire range or shot up tvs on the plinking range knows and fully appreciate the improvements that continue to happen at our club.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
is it normal for ranges to want to do background checks out here? I'm an NFA item holder so i don't have anything to hide, it just sounds really odd to me. and is there an option to just pay a higher annual fee and not have to pay extra every time i hit the range?

TRCGC does not run a NICS check everytime you visit the range. Applicants are vetted, but the only costs beyond annual dues are for maintaining backstops
In the olden days most of the officers belonged to multiple gun clubs. Some even sat on boards of multiple clubs. At the officer meetings they would go thru the list of names and see if any were known problems.
If nobody said anything, you were admitted. That was the extent of the check. Word got around quick on problem people.
I'm not up to date on current procedures as I haven't been an officer in over 30 years.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other tidbits of info. The club was formed in1963/64 during the 60's it grew to about 150 members.
Something to understand about back then. Woodland hills, Eastland mall, Tulsa Hills etc. etc. were hunting spots well outside the city limits.
Everybody could just pop over to a family members place and shoot.
As Tulsa grew it closed off those spots. In the 70's the membership grew to about 500.
Then, there was a massive population growth and membership rose to around 1500 in the 80's
Then in the 90's it was really growing and they put a cap on memberships at around 2200-2500 where it remains today.
What a lot of newer members don't understand or remember is today you see small numbers out at the range. Back in the 80's it was nothing to wait to use a range. There would be 2-300 people out there on a Saturday or Sunday. Times change, more people are off or retired and go during the week.
As the membership has gotten older, they keep up their membership to have a place to take the grand-kids when they come to town. This is now probably 50% or more of the members.
Why Red Castle? My dad and the others who started the club, worked for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Their symbol was the Red Castle. And there you know.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who can recall the days of finding 223 brass on the rimfire range or shot up tvs on the plinking range knows and fully appreciate the improvements that continue to happen at our club.

I still see this sort of ignorant and inconsiderate crap on occasion, unfortunately. Especially glass bottles at the plinking range, and last fall someone left a shot-up PC tower on the berm.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still see this sort of ignorant and inconsiderate crap on occasion, unfortunately. Especially glass bottles at the plinking range, and last fall someone left a shot-up PC tower on the berm.
As the person who worked out there from 1989 to 2019 cleaning up the mess everyone left behind. I actually preferred glass over the toilets, refrigerators, tv's, computers and other junk left behind.
with each bullet impact, it pounded the glass to dust versus the other crap blowing all over the ranges

geardo

Marksman
Reaction score
Other tidbits of info. The club was formed in1963/64 during the 60's it grew to about 150 members.
Something to understand about back then. Woodland hills, Eastland mall, Tulsa Hills etc. etc. were hunting spots well outside the city limits.
Everybody could just pop over to a family members place and shoot.
As Tulsa grew it closed off those spots. In the 70's the membership grew to about 500.
Then, there was a massive population growth and membership rose to around 1500 in the 80's
Then in the 90's it was really growing and they put a cap on memberships at around 2200-2500 where it remains today.
What a lot of newer members don't understand or remember is today you see small numbers out at the range. Back in the 80's it was nothing to wait to use a range. There would be 2-300 people out there on a Saturday or Sunday. Times change, more people are off or retired and go during the week.
As the membership has gotten older, they keep up their membership to have a place to take the grand-kids when they come to town. This is now probably 50% or more of the members.
Why Red Castle? My dad and the others who started the club, worked for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Their symbol was the Red Castle. And there you know.
I figured there was a tie to the Corps. I’ve been with USACE for 22 years and I just signed up for the indoor membership with the hopes of getting the chance for an outdoor membership when they open again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom