Want to reload 9mm/.40S&W/223. Which reload machine you recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no expert. But I think a beginner probably should start with a single stage press and learn each and every step separately along the way. I think a progressive is just a bit too complicated for a beginner. Sure you can learn to use a progressive but you really need to learn to walk before you run.

However, a turret press is a pretty darn good alternative. You can learn each step and as you learn you can have each die set up ready to use.

Just take it slow and easy.

I have owned a progressive before but I also kept and continue to use my RockChucker (single stage). I sold my progressive some years ago and don't really miss it. I have the Rock Chucker and 2 turret presses.

Having said all that, I think the Hornady LNL is a fine machine, and of course there is no doubt that the Dillon is fine, especially their warranty. Hornady also has an excellent warranty. I will probably end up with a Dillon 550 around Thanksgiving.

Come to think of it, H&H has a beginning reloading class. It's about 3 hours, I think, and it costs $50. Money well spent. You will see it first hand and get to try it all yourself. Go in and see the guys. I think the best one there is, I think his name is Donald. Not sure, but the older white haired gentleman. That man knows his stuff. Better to learn from other peoples mistakes, you don't need to learn them all on your own. Reloading is fun and is also a serious business.

Safety is #1, and not just a trite saying. Be damn sure you take your time, don't rush either the reloading process or the learning process.

Good luck.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no expert. But I think a beginner probably should start with a single stage press and learn each and every step separately along the way. I think a progressive is just a bit too complicated for a beginner. Sure you can learn to use a progressive but you really need to learn to walk before you run.

It's not bad advice. I learned on a progressive, but I also did a lot of reading and asking questions beforehand.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks so much for great input. Since I am beginner, I am going to sign up a reloading class at Heartland range, Edmond. Is it worth the time and money on this class? anyone try or heard about this class? Thanks for your input.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to beat a Dillon 550 for doing what you want to do. The 550 can be run as a progressive to make lots of quality handgun rounds. It can be run as a semi-progressive to make bunches of .223/5.56 pretty quick too. Caliber changes are maybe 4-5 minutes if you have the dies in their dedicated tool holder. Powder measure adjustments, including verification with a powder scale, take maybe 5 minutes.Takes maybe 5 minutes to change from large to small size primer. Various adjustable powder bars are available to handle different ranges of powder drops. Dillon's customer service is absolutely fantastic.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloading presses are just like women and sex. They are all good and some are better. A man can't wear one out and some put out faster than others. They will all make your gun go "bang" and the more time you spend loading the ammo the more satisfying the "bang" is. The rewards for putting in more effort is worth the extra effort and will make the end result worth bragging about.

They come in different colors and shapes and if you pick one out and stick with it for years you will be just as happy as the guys that try them all. Some cost more and are more finicky but if you take care of them they will be good to you for the rest of your life.

It only depends on what you want. Do some research and ask your buddies if you can try theirs even if it might be more fun to sneak in and use theirs when they aren't home.

I have a Dillon 550 and an RCBS rockchucker and my newest one is the Lee hand press. They all have their uses. I lust after a Dillon 650 but I don't need it.

I currently load 17 different cartridges and do most of them on the Dillon.

Even if you get a nice progressive press there may come a day when you could use a single stage and it would be good to get that first. I think it would be great to start with a progressive but a lot of people think it is better to start with the single stage. I did.

Last edited:

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out with a Rock chucker before I upgraded to the 550. You could buy a 550 and just run one piece of brass through at a time which would mimic learning on a single stage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom