Want to reload 9mm/.40S&W/223. Which reload machine you recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The calibers you intend to load are ideal for a progressive, but only if you shoot a lot, IMHO. If you're only shooting a few boxes of each every month you may still be OK with a single stage. You'll have to decide whether something that can load several hundred rounds an hour is necessary. The time available for reloading makes a difference too.

I have used a single stage for low volume stuff for years and a Dillon XL650 for stuff that gets shot in larger quantity. I've even thought seriously about a turret for some things that fall in between.

At one time I was one of those who believed in starting on a single stage but have backed away from that. Just know what you are getting into and really think about whether you have the patience to be methodical in setting up and using a progressive if you go that way.

Insureyourself

Marksman
Reaction score
If you are just getting started, you really should take a class or spend the day with someone who has experience. I tried to start out cold and I'm not a dim bulb, but still made more than my share of rookie mistakes. You are investing time money and the welfare of your firearms in the process. You know what proper planing prevents.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use it for calibers i don't shoot frequently enough to justify buying another toolhead for on the 550.

I was pretty sure you would and for that reason. I asked so some one that wants a progressive will know that starting with a single stage or even a turret press will know they won't be wasting money buying the slower one when they want the faster one. Even when you get the progressive you will still use them both.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dillon. I loaded 1000 rds of .223 two weeks ago. I had two primers in upside down ( which I removed with my special tool and reprimed them) and one case that the primer fell out of because the pocket was too big. Dillon may be more money but,you gat what you pay for. I have a good amount of money in all of my Dillon stuff but, by now it's paid for itself with the volume of ammo I load.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dillon. I loaded 1000 rds of .223 two weeks ago. I had two primers in upside down ( which I removed with my special tool and reprimed them) and one case that the primer fell out of because the pocket was too big. Dillon may be more money but,you gat what you pay for. I have a good amount of money in all of my Dillon stuff but, by now it's paid for itself with the volume of ammo I load.

About the same as the Hornady LNL. I started out on a Rock Chucker and still use it on my hunting rounds but when I compared both the Dillon and the Hornady LNL side by side the Hornady won hands down in my book. It was much easier to change over, No special die plates or Dies, even the tolerances were tighter on the Hornady due to to much movement in the Dillon die plate. Before you buy anything look around. Most people think their **** is the best, look for yourself and Good luck!

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks and wonderful and helpful input. I can learn from other mistake and success. Please give me input and I am sure I will enjoy this new adventures..Castle eleven

Latest posts

Top Bottom