Want to reload 9mm/.40S&W/223. Which reload machine you recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used several presses over the years. The one that seems the best for the money to me is a PW Metallic II. It is a semi-progressive that uses standard dies, loads rifle or pistol and is relatively simple. Not as fast as a Dillon 650, but much simpler.

I tumble my rifle cases after re-sizing so my old Rockchucker still gets a lot of use.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Dillon 650 and a Sq Deal B. I've never owned any of the other brands and don't see why I'd ever want to. I don't need a can of air to keep them running. I loaded 1000 rds of .223 a few weeks ago and had one primer up-side-down. What ever you get ,if you're happy with it,that's all that matters.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, thanks so much for all the input. I completed the reloading class and enjoy it. It is time to do some serious shopping for equipments now. I am thinking to give Hornady LNL progressive press. Please let me where to get a good deals for the press, carbide dies set for 9mm, .40S&W and 223. What is average cost for this now? ANy help to get me going finding the equipment is appreciated

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, thanks so much for all the input. I completed the reloading class and enjoy it. It is time to do some serious shopping for equipments now. I am thinking to give Hornady LNL progressive press. Please let me where to get a good deals for the press, carbide dies set for 9mm, .40S&W and 223. What is average cost for this now? ANy help to get me going finding the equipment is appreciated

Scout the internet for the best price, and keep in mind that Hornady offers 500 bullets as a bonus.
I looked on Amazon, didn't find much difference in price, so I went with the dealer that had the best customer service.

Alert: The bar code on the box is required for the rebate.
At one time on ebay, the sellers were cutting the bar code out, and reselling the unopened loader. You would not get the rebate in that case, so just be aware.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote the lee turret for a beginner. And probably for most peoples uses. Caliber change is dies plus $10 for a new turret. add an extra $25 and set your powder drop and never change again. It offers a single stage type learning without having to set up your dies each time. 100 rounds an hour is very doable. most people have a lot more time to reload than they do to actually shoot, I know over the winter my stockpiles seem to grow and grow. Save the money on an expensive progressive and buy more components.

Unless you are a guy that goes out every weekend and blows through 500 rounds progressives are really more than a guy needs. They are nice but totally not necessary for most.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sorry but if you even thinking of needing a reloading class. you've got no business with a dillion 550.

if you don't have a lick of reloading gear .. rock chucker supreme kit is $289 everything you need to get started. no compromise on quality.. for instance you will need balance beam scales, a solid reference book. you will never outgrow a single stage rock chucker. which is consider the best single stage press ever made.

you cannot buy reloading skills.. they have to be earned .. initial learning curve will quickly be overcome. start slow with a single stage press that you will need for large rifle rounds. one can crank out hundreds of rounds with a single stage press in not much time.

I've got a Dillion 550, but rock chucker is what gets used. working up loads also needs a chrony and is better on a single stage press

a reloading area where all your gear has it's place makes for safer reloading. pistol brass has enough room for double charge... rifle brass if double loaded will be real obvious.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sorry but if you even thinking of needing a reloading class. you've got no business with a dillion 550.

if you don't have a lick of reloading gear .. rock chucker supreme kit is $289 everything you need to get started. no compromise on quality.. for instance you will need balance beam scales, a solid reference book. you will never outgrow a single stage rock chucker. which is consider the best single stage press ever made.

you cannot buy reloading skills.. they have to be earned .. initial learning curve will quickly be overcome. start slow with a single stage press that you will need for large rifle rounds. one can crank out hundreds of rounds with a single stage press in not much time.

I've got a Dillion 550, but rock chucker is what gets used. working up loads also needs a chrony and is better on a single stage press

a reloading area where all your gear has it's place makes for safer reloading. pistol brass has enough room for double charge... rifle brass if double loaded will be real obvious.

++++1

xtremepilot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got started on a Dillon Square Deal B 8 years ago but am looking at upgrading to a 650 so I can reload 223. Time is important to me so I'm willing to spring for the case feeder and safety add-ons of a powder check. I can't speak highly enough of Dillon and their customer service.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what is the different between D650 and Hornady LnL in regards of ability to do a powder check? Is there one is better or more convenient to do the powder check?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what is the different between D650 and Hornady LnL in regards of ability to do a powder check? Is there one is better or more convenient to do the powder check?

has anyone used this RCBS powder check die? powder sticking to indicator tip?

LED reloading press lighting systems. » "Skylight" LED lighting Kit for the Dillon 650
http://inlinefabrication.com/collec...kylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-650

cdn.shopify.com_s_files_1_0235_0841_products_2bc0448089bb58b2cab6c8ce2e36e5578fce402ec800e9a7e.jpg

cdn.shopify.com_s_files_1_0235_0841_products_9b0f7cd4e842ecf1b0fcb0882e9d831474a6b080d44dea554.jpg

cdn.shopify.com_s_files_1_0235_0841_products_ffb70b26733fba0ffc7fc26a761e7cb709f48936c436bf085.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom