War and Candy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I had heard some time back about Necco wafers being a part of soldier's rations, I didn't know that Tootsie Rolls were as well. It is an interesting video, and with regard to the Tootsie Roll, it claims that many of those that escaped the "Frozen Chosin" survived because of Tootsie Rolls. I wonder if anyone knows of the truth of this from actual Chosin survivors?

Oh, and the video is from The History Guy, so you can count on it being entertaining.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea about Chosin, but my Uncle was in the Army at that time. He was stationed in Germany.
He would not touch a tootsie roll. Said he ate a dump truck load of them in Germany. Everytime they were issued field rations.
He kept his pockets full and threw them to kids they came across. He gave lots away when he was on leave.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I first heard the story about Tootsie Rolls in Korea from a 1st Sgt. that had been there. We were at the NCO Club at El Toro in '69 talking about the C Rats we got in Nam.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just watched that yesterday. :-)

Good vid. The history guy seems to be quite apolitical, which is refreshing.

I've watched dozens and dozens of his videos and never got an impression that he was political with his commentary.

I noticed in this video that his "YouTube Play Award" appears to be gold in color, so I guess I need to see what one needs to earn silver and gold.

Edit: I just looked. 100,000 subscribers for silver and 1,000,000 subscribers for gold. Next award would be diamond at 10,000,000 subscribers and custom at 50,000.000. And, I need to point out that they are subscribers to his channel, not just viewers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom