Warning. Brass coated steel cased ammo from Freedom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The owner of USSA said he has recently found Freedom Munitions pistol "brass" that is brass coated steel.

I'm sure no one wants to accidentally run that through their reloader.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know But I have ran steel which is coated and I have ran aluminum through my Lee Carbide dies No issues at all.

I much prefer to loose my aluminum and steel cases to the tall weeds than my brass ones.

I wonder if on the package they tell you it is steel based. or if they are just trying to pull a fast one.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steel cases will take a beating I can attest to that.
A friend worked up a load in his 45acp with 230gr lead and longshot powder.
You need a stout gun and his and mine are like tanks ..anyway it was 1280 fps.

I worked up some loads with bullseye powder and 200gr Lee tumble lube and found if I push the thing too fast it tumbles.
Skids instead of twisting with the rifling.
Funny thing, the rounds shot more accurate than some other loads I was playing with.
Tumbling bullet that hits the intended target....That could be useful ..and since it was skidding you could not trace that one to a particular gun.
Fun information.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know But I have ran steel which is coated and I have ran aluminum through my Lee Carbide dies No issues at all.

I much prefer to loose my aluminum and steel cases to the tall weeds than my brass ones.

I wonder if on the package they tell you it is steel based. or if they are just trying to pull a fast one.

They tell you pretty clearly; the ammo is called "American Steel" - it's brass coated over a steel case to "provide enhanced feeding and reliability"

Latest posts

Top Bottom