Warning for Woodward

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That **** is bad news. Found a propane tank on my lease once that had been modified to steal the stuff from local farmers. Meth makers used it in the production process. We got upwind and opened the valve. The breeze was pretty good but we still got a slight whiff of it. It will make you dizzy and take your breath away with very little exposure
I have a 20lb propane tank that I found after our river property got flooded. The valve is corroded blue in color. Meth tank. No propane facility will exchange it nor refill it if I even wanted to.
I wouldn't even think about putting it back into the system, but trying to figure out a way to use some tannerite to create a huge something.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dlbleak that was most likely ammonia and not propane. Back when they had to cook meth , ammonia was being stolen from farms everywhere.

Ammonia is pretty nasty as well.

Seems like I remember a farmer in the SW part of the state that found a couple of cooks laid out dead by his anhydrous tank with some propane bottles they were trying to fill off his tank. Apparently when they got it open, they got a snoot full, passed out on the ground and the ammonia leaked out, settled around them and created an oxygen starved area where they lay.

I don't remember all the details, but it sure seems like I heard that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dlbleak that was most likely ammonia and not propane. Back when they had to cook meth , ammonia was being stolen from farms everywhere.
All the COOPS in our area have cameras on the tanks in their property, but when they leave the place they are open to whatever use the buyer wants. Most COOPS will not sell the ammonia tanks to those that aren't registered owners of that COOP, but the people on the farm don't have not restrictions once it's there.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When those methers were big into stealing NH3, I know of two instances where they were busted driving down the road with a 5 gallon bucket hanging out the window lol. Too cheap for propane tanks I guess lol. If the wind is blowing hard, a person can be around it and stay up wind without choking to death, still dangerous though.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it was ammonia and I got a decent lung full. I got dizzy and about went to my knees. I could taste the crap in my lungs for a couple days.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regards to Anhydrous Ammonia, I've probably got more experience with it than most here. Time was, I hauled the stuff in 18-wheelers. I also worked as a manager of a country grain elevator, at which we also sold Anhydrous, and I've applied the stuff in the fields of a farm. So, I've handled a heck of a lot of the stuff.

As long as one keeps in mind the wind direction and stays upwind of any hose connections, keeps some water handy to pour on oneself if they get some anhydrous on them, one can usually do just fine. Anhydrous Ammonia seeks out water, so it is ESPECIALLY important to protect one's eyes. I know of a transport driver that had lost one eye many years ago, and he got a bit of ammonia in his good eye and panicked. Fortunately, two friends were there and saw the whole thing. They grabbed him and shoved his head down into the small stock watering tank most Anhydrous dealers used for safety purposes. That saved his good eye.

Latest posts

Top Bottom