Warthogs in Texas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of feral African animals on the loose in Tx. At one time in SE Tx there were a couple of lions on the loose, but they got eliminated pretty quick.
There were so many emu's and ostriches loose in South Tx at one time after the big bust that cowboys on horseback were having competitions using lasso's to capture them.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several small high fence operations in the area of east TX where I live, and there are quite a few sightings of loose “exotics”. Fortunately/unfortunately, east TX rednecks know they can put a bullet in them any time of the year, so they don’t normally last past the first sighting.
A friend had an elk in his backyard recently and called the game warden to make sure he could shoot it, but his neighbor ended up killing it. While I was in OK last year, I got a text from my neighbor saying there was a big axis buck in his pasture, but his cows spooked it. He never saw it again.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are several small high fence operations in the area of east TX where I live, and there are quite a few sightings of loose “exotics”. Fortunately/unfortunately, east TX rednecks know they can put a bullet in them any time of the year, so they don’t normally last past the first sighting.
A friend had an elk in his backyard recently and called the game warden to make sure he could shoot it, but his neighbor ended up killing it. While I was in OK last year, I got a text last year from my neighbor saying their was a big axis buck in his pasture, but his cows spooked it. He never saw it again.
High fence place around Cement Ok has Axis deer and pigs. The pigs keep digging and the deer keep escaping.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago Didn’t a high fence ranch in Texas have a very large Whitetail buck (meant for their breeding program) get out and get shot on private land by somebody and the high fence ranch tried suing the guy? 🤣
I don't doubt it. Some of those Tx high fence bucks can bring $40,000 or more for someone to shoot plus paying for lodging, etc.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago Didn’t a high fence ranch in Texas have a very large Whitetail buck (meant for their breeding program) get out and get shot on private land by somebody and the high fence ranch tried suing the guy? 🤣
I don’t think I’ve heard that story, but a friend‘s daughter killed an escaped high fence buck a couple years ago that scored 202”. I can’t remember is the guy that owned the buck knew he was out or not, but the buck had been seen in another friend of mine’s subdivision down the road from where he was killed. The owner wasn’t happy, but there was really nothing he could do.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my wife’s former students family owned a high fence hunting ranch for a while, and they had a guy show up a day early before they had turned the whitetail buck out of the trailer. The customer told them to just open the trailer doors, and he would shoot the buck when it ran out. The owners didn’t like the idea, but they went along with it. Long story short, the buck basically walked up to the guy before he shot him. The customer took his glamour shots with the buck and got back on a plane to wherever he lived. The owners processed the meat and shipped the customer his horns and cape.

A buddy of mine who is legitimately a good hunter wanted to kill a 250” buck for his birthday a few years ago, so he went to one of those high fence game ranches and shot one in a 25 acre pen and paid a ridiculous amount of money to do it. I’ve given him a ration of crap about it too.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
One of my wife’s former students family owned a high fence hunting ranch for a while, and they had a guy show up a day early before they had turned the whitetail buck out of the trailer. The customer told them to just open the trailer doors, and he would shoot the buck when it ran out. The owners didn’t like the idea, but they went along with it. Long story short, the buck basically walked up to the guy before he shot him. The customer took his glamour shots with the buck and got back on a plane to wherever he lived. The owners processed the meat and shipped the customer his horns and cape.

A buddy of mine who is legitimately a good hunter wanted to kill a 250” buck for his birthday a few years ago, so he went to one of those high fence game ranches and shot one in a 25 acre pen and paid a ridiculous amount of money to do it. I’ve given him a ration of crap about it too.

Just feels wrong

Latest posts

Top Bottom