Was there a time when you could just say "no"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think of the last time someone asked you for something, and your answer in your head was a plain "no".

Did you just say "no" and move onto the next topic (or walk away), or did you have to spend extra time justifying your "no"? Did you voluntarily explain why your answer was no because you felt guilty?

It seems like people feel entitled to an explanation when the answer is no, but I don't understand where this is coming from. And on the same note, it seems like we've been trained to feel like we're commiting a wrong by saying "no" to things.

If a simple "yes" is a valid (and often awarded/celebrated) answer to a request or a question, why is a simple "no" not equally acceptable?

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I said no to an accountant at work last week. She started to ask questions and I didn't want to explain. My second statement was a question to her. What part of no don't you understand? I know it was curt but this sensitive world we live in now gets to me sometimes. I think sensitive folks should learn to identify as folks with thicker skin.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The "me" crowd gets the feelers hurt easily and need to know how you could possibly tell the most special person in the world ...No. Started while the brats were in diapers and stomping and screaming whilst the parent ignored them instead of whooping that booty!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
rememberthesekids.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom