Watch Rebuild 1980 Seiko 7009-8580 - Documented For OSA!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exquisite Vintage 1950s Mans Wittnauer Longines Stunning Dial Serviced

Ever work on something like this?
Yep. Same type Swiss lever escapement movements that are in lots of other watches. Longines are a high quality brand, so their finishing on the parts and fitment are done quite well, but the basic mechanics are the same. All work on the same general principal, but many makers design their own parts. The setting lever from that Longines will have a different design than the setting lever in an old Tudor (for example), but both will perform the same function. Parts are obviously not interchangeable, but they do the same task in the end.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember reading as a child that Thomas Edison (I believe it was him) took a clock apart as a boy and put it back together so I tried it. I figured out if he could that I could it didn't work out the way I thought.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fine work. Thanks for taking the time to document the process, it made for some very enjoyable reading.
Thank you for the kind words. The next project is underway. It is going to be a stunner (at least I think so). There was a few surprises and hidden gremlins waiting for me when I opened it up, and I am currently on a parts hunt. I’m finding it initially difficult to locate some of the parts, as the company who made this watch has been out of business for many decades. In the meantime, while I look for a few different items, I started on the case work tonight. Hopefully one day soon I will have another write up for everyone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom