Watch Your Back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a guy try that to me when I was in high school. I was hanging out at the 12th st shopping center at 12th st and Janeway when this guy approached me and said he needed to sell a watch for 10 bucks to get his kid some formula (this was in 94, formula was much cheaper then). He swore the watch wasn't stolen, yadda yadda. Told him I wouldn't buy the watch, but I will go to the corner mart and buy him some formula. Guy quickly refused and when I started to badger him he told me to f-off. Since then I have never given money to someone begging. I have offered to pay for gas, diapers, formula, etc and all but once I was turned down. Bought a 20 something woman with a small child a full tank of gas. Not sure what was going on in her life, but she needed to get to her parents in Kansas.

Same same.

I’ve bought gas several times. Never the cash. Always went in and paid for the gas and told the clerk it was to be pumped and not refunded.

I’ve offered to buy food when someone asked for cash for eats; had one taker at the West side walmarts in Norman. She had a back seat car load of kids and asked for money to buy them happy meals when there was still a McDonald’s at the entrance. There was another grown skank in the front passenger seat. Same same again. Told her I’d buy the food, and would meet her at front door and I kept on walking. Waited outside at the front for about 5 minutes. No show.

Always feel bad for the kids, but I’m not giving their tweeker parent any money for meth. F’ that. Some poor soft hearted soul ain’t doing the kids any favors by providing money for drugs. They will probably get it somewhere, but it won’t be from me.

Edit - in summation, not one single time when I’ve offered to buy food for someone asking for money for food have I been taken up on the offer.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Sonic Cards are a scam, and it's going on in Norman as well. They are saying it's a fundraiser for Norman North. We were notified by the coaching staff that NN wasn't associated with any fundraisers at this time. We were notified because our kids play baseball/football at NN.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am usually sitting in the car in the parking lot, too. Pretty good show, at times.

My Mom would get a flat of those huge muffins from Wally wawa and a case of bottled water, when traveling.

She was sitting in the car, at gas pump, seen a group of 5-6 bums, between gas station and liquor store.

1 came over and tapped window, asking for money for food. She offered him a muffin. He starts cussing her and said give the damn money. She asked if he would prefer lead instead of muffin.

He scurried back, the others laughing.

Another, not from the group, walks up and politely asked if he could have a muffin? She gave him one and he quickly ate it. She asked if he needed some water and another muffin? He says please and thank you. Then proceeds to wash all the windows.

Mom said she had been approached many times, as she and Dad pulled the RV all over the country. That was the only muffin ever accepted.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with donating to any charitable organization is, they are all operated by human beings! But on the other hand, giving to people panhandling, is no different, we never know what they will do with the money we gave them! My sweet wife said it best in my opinion, Christanity teaches us to GIVE TO THE POOR, what they do with the money, is not our responsibility! The Salvatrion Army, Sriners Children Hospital, St. Jude's Children's Hospital, are three of my favorite charities, I think they use the money donated wisely and for the purpose intended!

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with donating to any charitable organization is, they are all operated by human beings! But on the other hand, giving to people panhandling, is no different, we never know what they will do with the money we gave them! My sweet wife said it best in my opinion, Christanity teaches us to GIVE TO THE POOR, what they do with the money, is not our responsibility! The Salvatrion Army, Sriners Children Hospital, St. Jude's Children's Hospital, are three of my favorite charities, I think they use the money donated wisely and for the purpose intended!
One of the good things about working for Cox is we have an employee funded, employee run charity called Cox Charities. None of the donations received are used for operations. Its staffed by employees who are paid for their time. And the employees decide who gets the money and its always someone local. This is the only charity I give to so I can make sure my donations are spent here, locally.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have always prided myself on being aware of the surroundings. Yes I saw that ass, yes I saw them jugs, yes I saw that brain fart, yes I saw that accident coming. Its not paranoid but being prepared for what's coming. I was a boy scout and grandpa said the enemy would come from within .

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a guy try that to me when I was in high school. I was hanging out at the 12th st shopping center at 12th st and Janeway when this guy approached me and said he needed to sell a watch for 10 bucks to get his kid some formula (this was in 94, formula was much cheaper then). He swore the watch wasn't stolen, yadda yadda. Told him I wouldn't buy the watch, but I will go to the corner mart and buy him some formula. Guy quickly refused and when I started to badger him he told me to f-off. Since then I have never given money to someone begging. I have offered to pay for gas, diapers, formula, etc and all but once I was turned down. Bought a 20 something woman with a small child a full tank of gas. Not sure what was going on in her life, but she needed to get to her parents in Kansas.
She was needing to get to her parents in Kansas the next day, and the next, and the next.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have always prided myself on being aware of the surroundings. Yes I saw that ass, yes I saw them jugs, yes I saw that brain fart, yes I saw that accident coming. Its not paranoid but being prepared for what's coming. I was a boy scout and grandpa said the enemy would come from within .
Boy, he got that right. See what they did to the BSA?

Latest posts

Top Bottom