Water well question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On more than one occasion I have had led bulbs start to flicker and or quit as a result of a little tarnish or corrosion in the socket.Paticularly in older fixtures. I am thinking that since leds pull such a small amount of currant they are probably more suspectable to misbehaving if the contacts in the fixture aren't bright and shiney. Any more if I am installing leds in a house I'll scrape the surface of & put a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts to hopefully ward of that issue.
Excellent point.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You seem to be fairly knowledgeable about LED functions, so here is one designed to stump you. It certainly has stumped me 😂

I have two identical separate wall lamps hanging on the same wall, in the same room, both with multiple LED's and a single mechanical on/off for each light, feeding off the same electrical branch (though through different receptacles). One works great but the other one will occasionally fail to [manually] turn on. If that lamp is unplugged, then plugged back in, it then turns on without problem (for awhile). "Awhile" being random, anywhere from a week to several months.
What happens when you switch the bulbs from one fixture to the other bulb for bulb?

How many LEDs are in each fixture?

Are the LEDs separate bulbs you screw in like a standard lamp?

Do the lamps operate when there is a bulb missing?

I suspect there is at least one faulty bulb causing the issue.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LEDs have current diodes that are fragile and burn out causing the flickering. Some have an array of LEDs and several burn out causing the same. Either way, it is an overcurrent causing the shutdown then power up repeatedly.

LEDs are DC powered and are converted via a bridge rectifier.

This is why I will never buy any fixture where the LEDs are nonreplaceable and there are a lot of them out there.
Are both strings of LED Lights each connected parallel to the power source, or are they connected in series from one connection to the power source?

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What happens when you switch the bulbs from one fixture to the other bulb for bulb?

How many LEDs are in each fixture?

Are the LEDs separate bulbs you screw in like a standard lamp?

Do the lamps operate when there is a bulb missing?

I suspect there is at least one faulty bulb causing the issue.
1665077003585.png

These are the exact fixtures (2) that I have, from Lamps Plus.com. Each contains a total of 8 non-removable LED's (4-up, 4-down). All the LED's are functional, each with the same brightness. I have no idea if they are wired in series or parallel. Neither fixture is using any type of dimmer.

Being that these fixtures were designed for outdoor use (to be hardwired in), I added a length of lamp cord and plug (polarity maintained) and a mechanical push-button on/off switch to each fixture.

1665078049073.png

A couple of years ago the driver stopped working on one of these fixtures which I then replaced with another slightly physically larger driver because I could not located the exact [smaller] replacement that fit within the fixture itself. Driver = 10W Phihong Triac Dimming IP67 AC Driver from LED Supply.com.

The second fixtures' driver eventually malfunctioned and was also replaced with the same driver (above) that had been replaced with the first fixture.

Hope the additional information helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom