Waterfowl 18'/19'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Spent a few hours this afternoon/evening looking for birds close to Salt Plains, it's pretty bleak up there. We glassed the lake about the time of that beautiful sunset and there couldn't have been more than a few hundred ducks and geese on the water. We saw no cranes, not even any flying back to the lake. I do know they've been killed cranes west of there though.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spent a few hours this afternoon/evening looking for birds close to Salt Plains, it's pretty bleak up there. We glassed the lake about the time of that beautiful sunset and there couldn't have been more than a few hundred ducks and geese on the water. We saw no cranes, not even any flying back to the lake. I do know they've been killed cranes west of there though.

Wonder if a lot have already gone past us?!

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ducks and geese are still north and way north. Cranes I'm not sure.

Must be in Kansas cuz they ain’t killing anything but mallards and Canadas around here right now. Which is typical for this time of year.

But it has been strange here. Have seen some birds around we typically don’t see this late.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Crane hunt got moved into southern Kansas, which sucks cuz now I gotta blow another $200 on hotel and non-rez license. But the guide simply said there are no cranes in northern Oklahoma currently. He sent me the numbers. Salt Plains currently has 5k sandhills and they should be sitting near 100k sandhills. He said they've been doing very well across the border. Definitely a lot of birds holding in Kansas and I'm sure cranes aren't the only species up there.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
My Crane hunt got moved into southern Kansas, which sucks cuz now I gotta blow another $200 on hotel and non-rez license. But the guide simply said there are no cranes in northern Oklahoma currently. He sent me the numbers. Salt Plains currently has 5k sandhills and they should be sitting near 100k sandhills. He said they've been doing very well across the border. Definitely a lot of birds holding in Kansas and I'm sure cranes aren't the only species up there.

Glad he's on birds, but yeah sucks to have to rearrange things. Salt Plains bird numbers are about a bleak as I've ever seen it, ever.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Drove back from visiting family in Nebraska. Tons of geese in North Kansas and southern Nebraska. Tons of ducks and geese from about Salina to the toll booth south of whichita. South of that and things got sparse.

Agreed, we're still shooting a few every morning, we've not shot a limit since the second half started.

Latest posts

Top Bottom