Waterfowl 19'/20'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw ten ducks in the distance......bagged 2 doves, 1 lesser Canada and 30lb beaver lol. Could not call the dog off either, couldn't believe he brought it back. Sunrise was worth the trip though.View attachment 149497 View attachment 149498

Good thing that beaver was DEAD. I have seen wounded beavers seriously tear dogs up before. I mean need a serious stitching from a vet.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've seen on FB groups it's hit or miss in Kansas like us. Nebraska guys talk like they're not even peak migration yet.

Well considering a large portion of Nebraska is closed for duck season, they may not be shooting any of them. LOL

I'm guessing as usual there are spots in Nebraska (especially out west) you can pound the Mallards late in the season as this is not uncommon, but we are well past peak migration here on the east side of the state. They only ducks I am seeing in any great numbers is Mallards and Goldeneye. VERY few puddle ducks of any other form. That tells me we are well past peak here along the Missouri river corridor.

I think all the water and wet summer we had has really spread them out and they aren't as concentrated as usual. However this warm weather up here has certainly kept some of the Mallards from moving south that might otherwise go that way. That being said we always have plenty of mallards that simply don't go any further south than this.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well considering a large portion of Nebraska is closed for duck season, they may not be shooting any of them. LOL

I'm guessing as usual there are spots in Nebraska (especially out west) you can pound the Mallards late in the season as this is not uncommon, but we are well past peak migration here on the east side of the state. They only ducks I am seeing in any great numbers is Mallards and Goldeneye. VERY few puddle ducks of any other form. That tells me we are well past peak here along the Missouri river corridor.

I think all the water and wet summer we had has really spread them out and they aren't as concentrated as usual. However this warm weather up here has certainly kept some of the Mallards from moving south that might otherwise go that way. That being said we always have plenty of mallards that simply don't go any further south than this.

Do you think more mallard spend the winter there now than in years past? I thought there was a January season in NE?

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you think more mallard spend the winter there now than in years past? I thought there was a January season in NE?

I can’t speak for the western part of the state but where I am at in the East. Not that I have seen. Maybe a few more around than usual due to warmer weather and no snow but not tons of them.

A solid 1/3 of the state closed for duck hunting by December 24th. The entire eastern half of the state closes January 5th. The western half of the state is open until January 27th. Traditionally most those guys are shooting geese and mallards only as most other dabblers have jammed at that point. Open water is key and if the rivers stay open out there the hunting is much better.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The yellow dog was worn out after this one
8c5363b4e38e313b300544d8292a32d2.jpg
99a47f70602170f94fb449a0df751cd0.jpg

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's funny how some mud hole ponds produce and others won't see a single bird year round. I have one next to a clear pond that has fish, some standing timber and various aquatic plants. Thet mud hole has nothing, but has a taller dam. They are 100 yards apart and 9 / 10 times birds drop into the mud hole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom