Waterfowl 2017/2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep may not get to hunt before I get there. Unfortunately the ponds I hunt, like most the ponds in this county, don't have roosting birds only daytime feeders. So when it gets cold, it locks them up, and at that point the bird activity usually decreases significantly!

Still bringing my gear just in case. I see 40s in the forecast for Thursday/Friday which should help my odds!

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had an abysmal season on ducks this year. Several trips with not a shot fired. One duck on the strap over four hunts. Seeing lots and lots of geese flying a mile high. Tried an OLAP property twice that produced zero birds, except a couple quail.

Gonna stay after it though. Breaking ice usually increases our numbers. Good luck to everyone braving the elements.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We've had an abysmal season on ducks this year. Several trips with not a shot fired. One duck on the strap over four hunts. Seeing lots and lots of geese flying a mile high. Tried an OLAP property twice that produced zero birds, except a couple quail.

Gonna stay after it though. Breaking ice usually increases our numbers. Good luck to everyone braving the elements.

Keep after it meatgrinder, I still think there's a bunch of birds north of us.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Never seen a mallard this morning. Gads, pins, teal and widgeon. We refrained from the ringnecks, they make some pretty cool noises when swimming thru the decoys though.

mojo ice.jpg

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luckily i have acess to water that is pumped and stays open...the colder the better. 3 of us scratched out limits this am. 9 greenheads, 1 hen, 2 bull sprigs, 6 gads. Sunday we only had mallards....didnt even see any other species. This is the first push of gadwall we have had since the split. First pintails of the year too. Lots of big groups of migrating new arivals. We need Kansas to have a big snow and things will really get good!

Latest posts

Top Bottom