Waterfowl 2017/2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
20171118_071243.jpg
Limits by 7am, and did see deer from the blind lol.
20171118_070124.jpg

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This splitting the season is so so stupid. I’ve never seen so many ducks in my part of the state. It’s unbelievable. The geese finally decided to make it down south and there’s a lot of them this weekend too. Man this needs to be changed.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This splitting the season is so so stupid. I’ve never seen so many ducks in my part of the state. It’s unbelievable. The geese finally decided to make it down south and there’s a lot of them this weekend too. Man this needs to be changed.
I agree. I wish the season just started 2 weeks later. If a split is required, make it the first week of deer rifle. The second week is when birds pour in.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
This is the first time in almost 20 years where the first half was really good in the nw part of the state. I'd gladly swap the split for consecutive days that ran to the end of January......meaning just start the entire season 3 weeks later. Even February would be great, and I've always been told that it was a Federal rule about not hunting in February, yet this year there's one youth day on the first Saturday of February.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I see deer while duck hunting a lot, as well. Was just thinking about public land run ins if duck was split so rifle hunters didn't get so pissy during the 9 days they get, if there must be a split.

I've heard there's a federal rule about how many consecutive days duck hunting is allowed, hence the split? Any truth to that?

We've barely had any birds until the last 2 weeks and even then, it's only a few handfuls.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Okie4570,

Wife and I constantly see deer while banging away in the duck blind. It got to the point that during rifle season we sometimes tote a rifle with us to the stand!

I don't want the split because there's birds here during these two weeks, and not during the first half of the split. The days before the split are a waste for the most part. My comment had nothing to do with deer season. We see deer from blind often and the shotguns don't seem to bother them.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I see deer while duck hunting a lot, as well. Was just thinking about public land run ins if duck was split so rifle hunters didn't get so pissy during the 9 days they get, if there must be a split.

I've heard there's a federal rule about how many consecutive days duck hunting is allowed, hence the split? Any truth to that?

We've barely had any birds until the last 2 weeks and even then, it's only a few handfuls.

Look at that High Plains unit season length! I counted 95 days there. Zone 1 in Oklahoma is 73 if I counted correctly, Zone 2 should be the same.

KANSAS
DUCKS, HIGH PLAINS UNIT

• Season: Oct. 7, 2017-Jan. 1, 2018 and Jan. 20-28, 2018
  • Area open: High Plains Zone (see map)
  • Daily bag limit: 6
  • Possession limit: Three times the daily limit
  • Stamps Required: Kansas HIP Permit, State Waterfowl Stamp, Federal Waterfowl Stamp
DUCKS, LOW PLAINS EARLY ZONE

• Season: Oct. 7-Dec. 3, 2017 and Dec. 16-31, 2017
  • Area open: Early Zone (see map)
  • Stamps Required: Kansas HIP Permit, State Waterfowl Stamp, Federal Waterfowl Stamp
DUCKS, LOW PLAINS LATE ZONE

• Season: Oct. 28-Dec. 31, 2017 and Jan. 20-28, 2018
  • Area open: Late Zone (see map)
DUCKS, LOW PLAINS SOUTHEAST ZONE

• Season: Nov. 11-Dec. 31, 2017 and Jan. 6-28, 2018
  • Area open: Southeast Zone (see map)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom