Ways around a Neilson device???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a YHM Wraith 9mm suppressor that I've been running on my SBR 9mm AR with a lot of success, well I've been reading here and there that a Beretta 92fs can work without a neilson device because the barrel goes straight back and doesn't tilt when fired so I had my 92fs threaded and I can't get it to cycle with 147grain or 115 grain while using the suppressor on it.

My thoughts were to put a lighter recoil spring in there and maybe that would get the slide to fully retract.
I ordered a 9 lb recoil spring from Wolff that should be here in the next couple days, is there anything else I should try in addition to the lighter spring?

thanks in advance,
Matt

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the fact that the barrel moves at all is your problem.
mac10, tec9 would work fine but inertia is lost in barrel movement and needs the booster.
I think all the light spring will do is risk damaging your slide.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The factory spring is 12 lbs and only letting the slide go back 1/4 inch with suppressor attached so I'm not really too worried about a 9 lb spring doing any kind of damage to the slide.
I'm only going to be using the 9 lb spring when the suppressor is attached.

I want to pursue it because like I said before, I've heard of more than a few occasions where the neilson device wasn't needed in the 92fs so the barrel movement issue can be corrected it seems.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hear some barrels on berettas are stationary while some aren't. That's why some don't require a booster.
My Taurus pt99 and yhm m2 has never missed a beat.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear some barrels on berettas are stationary while some aren't. That's why some don't require a booster.
My Taurus pt99 and yhm m2 has never missed a beat.

If you are talking about a YHM Cobra M2, that can does have a booster and should work without issue. The Wraith that the OP is talking about does not have a booster and he is having an issue.

smallscalepilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this is like comparing apples and oranges, but I'm running a YHM/Maxim 1911 .45 can on my Glock 21. It does not have a booster, weighs in at 8.4oz/239 grams. I have found that it must have a full power 230g load to cycle properly. A 5% lighter load works marginally, and a 10% reduced (starting load from Lyman manual) is a crapshoot.

This is just more of a reference. I think you 9 lb spring might get it done. how much does the wraith actually weigh (vs advertised)?

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I haven't put in on a digital scale yet to find out. I'll have to do that and post the actual weight of it.

I got my spring in today, just haven't had a chance to test it yet. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will.

Latest posts

Top Bottom