1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Ways around a Neilson device???

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by Ignored Member, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Ignored Member

Ignored Member Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have a YHM Wraith 9mm suppressor that I've been running on my SBR 9mm AR with a lot of success, well I've been reading here and there that a Beretta 92fs can work without a neilson device because the barrel goes straight back and doesn't tilt when fired so I had my 92fs threaded and I can't get it to cycle with 147grain or 115 grain while using the suppressor on it.

My thoughts were to put a lighter recoil spring in there and maybe that would get the slide to fully retract.
    I ordered a 9 lb recoil spring from Wolff that should be here in the next couple days, is there anything else I should try in addition to the lighter spring?

thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. mr ed

mr ed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I believe the fact that the barrel moves at all is your problem.
    mac10, tec9 would work fine but inertia is lost in barrel movement and needs the booster.
    I think all the light spring will do is risk damaging your slide.

3. Ignored Member

Rating
    100%
    The factory spring is 12 lbs and only letting the slide go back 1/4 inch with suppressor attached so I'm not really too worried about a 9 lb spring doing any kind of damage to the slide.
    I'm only going to be using the 9 lb spring when the suppressor is attached.

I want to pursue it because like I said before, I've heard of more than a few occasions where the neilson device wasn't needed in the 92fs so the barrel movement issue can be corrected it seems.

4. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    With a lighter can the 92 would probably cycle, but the Wraith is a little heavy. The 9lb spring will probably work.

5. Ignored Member

Rating
    100%
    I didn't even think about the weight of it being an issue, I sure hope it works with the spring. I'll probably try it out Tuesday if it gets to me by then.

6. MrShooter

MrShooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I hear some barrels on berettas are stationary while some aren't. That's why some don't require a booster.
    My Taurus pt99 and yhm m2 has never missed a beat.

7. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If you are talking about a YHM Cobra M2, that can does have a booster and should work without issue. The Wraith that the OP is talking about does not have a booster and he is having an issue.

8. smallscalepilot

smallscalepilot Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I know this is like comparing apples and oranges, but I'm running a YHM/Maxim 1911 .45 can on my Glock 21. It does not have a booster, weighs in at 8.4oz/239 grams. I have found that it must have a full power 230g load to cycle properly. A 5% lighter load works marginally, and a 10% reduced (starting load from Lyman manual) is a crapshoot.

This is just more of a reference. I think you 9 lb spring might get it done. how much does the wraith actually weigh (vs advertised)?

9. Ignored Member

Rating
    100%
    I haven't put in on a digital scale yet to find out. I'll have to do that and post the actual weight of it.

I got my spring in today, just haven't had a chance to test it yet. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will.

10. Hump66

Hump66 Sharpshooter

YHM website says 11 ounces for the Wraith XL.