Ways to move a popup camper from back yard to front yard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a popup camper I store in the back yard. I sometimes use my vehicle to move the camper out to the front yard (or to move it to the back yard). I also have tried using my riding mower, but it's a wimpy one and doesn't do a good job. If it starts slipping a tire, then all hope is lost and I end up having to use my vehicle. Sometimes the mower pops a wheelie and screws up the traction...all hope is lost again. It's one of those cheapy riding mowers, so I suspect I'll eventually tear up the transaxle if I keep using it for moving the camper.

Any recommendations on what to use to move the camper back and forth to the front yard? I looked at Trailer Valet, but that doesn't fit my frame unless I modify a few things...which I would prefer not to do. I'm told an atv won't help any. I'm told I need a huge riding mower...like a $6k John Deer X500 series (which I would love to buy, but don't want to spend that kind of coin). Since it's in the backyard, I don't think a trailer dolly that I pull on would be very easy to use.

This popup camper is one of the bigger ones (12 ft box IIRC) with a single axle and I believe it weighs around 2600 lbs (IIRC). The tongue weight seems kinda high to me because I can't easily pick it up, so I'm guessing it's 300 lb or so.

I would appreciate any insight to what mower to buy, or if an ATV would actually work, or I just keep using my vehicle. Thanks!

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think a decent sized at would move it just fine.
My neighbor uses his 600 yamaha to move his bass boat and his 16' tandem axle trailer in his yard.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a popup camper I store in the back yard. I sometimes use my vehicle to move the camper out to the front yard (or to move it to the back yard). I also have tried using my riding mower, but it's a wimpy one and doesn't do a good job. If it starts slipping a tire, then all hope is lost and I end up having to use my vehicle. Sometimes the mower pops a wheelie and screws up the traction...all hope is lost again. It's one of those cheapy riding mowers, so I suspect I'll eventually tear up the transaxle if I keep using it for moving the camper.

Any recommendations on what to use to move the camper back and forth to the front yard? I looked at Trailer Valet, but that doesn't fit my frame unless I modify a few things...which I would prefer not to do. I'm told an atv won't help any. I'm told I need a huge riding mower...like a $6k John Deer X500 series (which I would love to buy, but don't want to spend that kind of coin). Since it's in the backyard, I don't think a trailer dolly that I pull on would be very easy to use.

This popup camper is one of the bigger ones (12 ft box IIRC) with a single axle and I believe it weighs around 2600 lbs (IIRC). The tongue weight seems kinda high to me because I can't easily pick it up, so I'm guessing it's 300 lb or so.

I would appreciate any insight to what mower to buy, or if an ATV would actually work, or I just keep using my vehicle. Thanks!
my buddy uses his extra large 4 wheeler to move loaded and unloaded trailers, autos, etc. around on his property.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me "chime in" here about a high dollar John Deere rider. For years I insisted on buying "Home Depo" type riders, they would last 3 to 4 years and need multiple repairs, sometimes leaving me high and dry for weeks waiting for repairs to be done and putting me behind the curve so that the grass would be thick and hard to mow (putting extra strain on my newly repaired mower).

A few years ago I got an inheritance that gave me some "extra" cash and I decided to go for a 6K J.D. One of the best decisions I ever made! Mowing time was cut almost in half, comfort is out of this world, and need for repair has, so far, disappeared.

If you can swing it, get the quality mower, I think you will be pleased.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't wait for the point in my life where the thought of a 6000 dollar mower goes from not even a relevant thought, to a desire, to a reality... I would actually settle for the desire level.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You might try just putting more aggressive tires on your current mower and adding weight over the rear axles. 2600lb isn't that much if it's on decent wheels; I've moved more than that by hand before.

Also, be sure the trailer tires are fully inflated, and when you park it, put it on paver stones or wooden planks so it doesn't settle into the dirt; moving it out of a rut is much harder than moving it on flat ground. Similarly, don't move it when conditions are muddy.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would grab something like this https://www.amazon.com/Tow-Tuff-TMD-800ATV-Distributing-Adjustable/dp/B00R5OK44Q

Then use the riding mower but I agree make sure the mower has a path of stone or pavers so it can keep traction. If it is going to rain at some point when you may want to bring it out do it early. More aggressive tires could help as well. If you REALLY don't want to make a gravel or paver path do a temporary path for the mower with plywood, 4X8 sheets cut in half should give you 16 feet per sheet to drive on, just add some wood cleats on the ground side and some rubber matting on the top side so the wood bites into the ground and the tires can bite into the path.

Hooking the trailer up directly to the mower is part of the problem as it throws things off balance even with only a little tongue weight.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sell the camper. Get a tractor.

I sold my fishing boat several years ago for a 32 hp tractor, and it was the best decision I'd made in a long time. I get WAY more use out of the tractor than I ever did out of the boat.

Of course, YMMV, etc.

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL on selling the camper! That made me chuckle!! That's actually pretty good advice...LOL

I liked that one item from Amazon someone posted. That would help with the tongue weight problem. And I could try more aggressive tires too. Wish I could somehow do a diff lock on this tractor.

Thanks for all the advice and input! Keep them coming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom