Weapon Failures in Afghanistan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or an old water cooled Browning .30 cal.

This one? All the rage up through Korea:

Wikipedia said:
The Army Ordnance Department initially showed little interest in Browning's design, but after war was declared in April 1917, Browning was able to arrange a test. The first test was a success, but the Army demanded a second test a short time later. In the second test, Browning fired the weapon in two lengthy bursts of 20,000 rounds each without a single mishap. The Ordnance Board was impressed but was unconvinced that the same level of performance could be achieved in a production model. Browning produced a second weapon which he fired in a third test continuously for 48 minutes (over 21,000 rounds).[citation needed] Finally convinced, the Army adopted the weapon as its principal heavy machine gun, utilizing the M1906 .30-06 cartridge with a 150-grain, flat-base bullet.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly what others have said i think these weapons are great but yea go through 12 mags full auto and things are gonna get hot. only rambo or chuck norris can handle these type of situations:fullauto:

other than that barrels getting white hot and eveyrthing else should be a testament as to how well made these are considering the circumstances. curious if they were colts or FN's or others more than like it sounds like a complete fire fight and they had no other means of firepower and used what they had well past their limits.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK Guys the M249SAW is a continuous fire weapon. That is why it has a quick change barrel feature and is belt fed. The M16/M4 failing on the 12th magazine.......OK I can see it........I would like to know how fast he went through 12 mags. I know from real world use of an M4.......if you lube it it will run for a long, long time. But 12 mags fired on burst one right after another........I mean come on...... The M249 has to be kept well lubed and dirt/dust free IOT get the best out of it. So I have to agree with a lot of you guys. The weapon failures seem to be a combination of lack of training and a lack of follow on forces/ arty/ air support. Plus a health dose of medium (M240B/G) and heavy (M2 and Mk 19) firepower. But we were not there so who can really say for sure.
CHEERS,
notasniper

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK SORRY. but if you can shoot 85 rounds a minute for ever then it is a continous fire weapon I don't care if it is a bolt action rifle or a minigun. Ever hear the "die mother $#^*er die" triger control technique? Well put simply you pull the trigger 5-8 shots go down range and then you wait that same ammount of time (not pulling the trigger) and then repeat untill desired effect has been achieved or you run out of ammo. When you reload just squirt a little CLP on the internals (1.2seconds max) and then you start shooting again. When the barrel gets a little hot you simply swap it out. And there is not a gun in the world that can fire forever without letting off the trigger. Well not one that your regular grunt can carry into the hills anyway. SO yes burst, pause, burst , pause, burst, pause is in fact called continous fire................prove me wrong! Keep it well lubricated and it will run a long ass time. I have seen many of them that do not work from time to time. A trip to the armory fixes them every time. So as long as they are shot from time to time you can identify and fix any problems that are happening to a particular weapon before it goes down in a fire-fight. Plus if is goes down in a firefight most Marines that I know can get it running again in no time flat. But that may be the diffrence between a Marine and the others...............................

Latest posts

Top Bottom