Weapon Failures in Afghanistan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK SORRY. but if you can shoot 85 rounds a minute for ever then it is a continous fire weapon. Ever hear the "die mother $#^*er die" triger control technique? Well put simply you pull the trigger 5-8 shots go down range and then you wait that same ammount of time (not pulling the trigger) and then repeat untill desired effect has been achieved or you run out of ammo. When you reload just squirt a little CLP on the internals (1.2seconds max) and then you start shooting again. When the barrel gets a little hot you simply swap it out. And there is not a gun in the world that can fire forever without letting off the trigger. Well not one that your regular grunt can carry into the hills anyway. SO yes burst, pause, burst , pause, burst, pause is in fact called continous fire................prove me wrong! Keep it well lubricated and it will run a long ass time. I have seen many of them that do not work from time to time. A trip to the armory fixes them every time. So as long as they are shot from time to time you can identify and fix any problems that are happening to a particular weapon before it goes down in a fire-fight. Plus if is goes down in a firefight most Marines that I know can get it running again in no time flat. But that may be the diffrence between a Marine and the others...............................

Uh, no it is called sustained fire. That is the rate at which fire can be sustained for an indefinite amount of time. Continous fire is continous = non-stop, and about the only thing that can do that is something water cooled and even then you do have to stop every now and then to reload, top off water, etc...

From http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m249/m249-study-guide.shtml

11.What are the rates of fire for the M249?
•Sustained rate is 100 rounds per minute
•Rapid rate is 200 rounds per minute
•Cyclic rate is 650 to 850 rounds per minute

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you are absolutly right.........sustained..........not continous fire. Sorry for mixing up the wording there. But the bulk of what I said is right.........right. The point of the story is that the weapons failed and then it got on the M249 and now we are here.........BUT I agree that the word mix-up kind of makes me seem a little dumb.
So take what I wrote and replace my continous fire with sustained fire and the point is still the same..............
CHEERS

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you are absolutly right.........sustained..........not continous fire. Sorry for mixing up the wording there. But the bulk of what I said is right.........right. The point of the story is that the weapons failed and then it got on the M249 and now we are here.........BUT I agree that the word mix-up kind of makes me seem a little dumb.
So take what I wrote and replace my continous fire with sustained fire and the point is still the same..............
CHEERS

I was not trying to make you sound dumb and I apologize if it came across that way.

I do agree with everything else you said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom