Weapon light on carry gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think that trainers that have no immediate connection to LE/MIL issues provide a very valuable “check” for most civilian ccw carriers. Tom G is one of the ex LE guys that really gets it and tailors for the common man.
I find myself thinking “ well, a wml will really help with holding suspects at point” then I realize when the heck would I reasonably be doing this in any possible violent encounter? I no longer have a commission card, and I don’t own a museum or moonlight as a night watchman.
Those times when a light is helpful to a civilian, it’s usually best not to have it glued to a weapon.

Again, I would never, ever, argue that a civilian (anyone for that matter) should ONLY run a WML. I carry a flashlight as part of my EDC.

Currently I don't carry with a WML. I have one on my nightstand gun. I just think anyone dismissing them entirely for a carry weapon is selling the tool short.

Can they be used and trained for improperly? Sure that's a given, but that's no different than the gun it's mounted to.

Has there ever been a civilian gun fight that needed more than 15rds? 10? 5? 2? Should we make rules on how many rounds to carry based on that?

I figure a WML is for final target identification before firing. I figure the brighter the light, the fast I can do that, and the more likely to make them pause while I do. I don't need it to move through my hall at night.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yourself, GTG, ef9, prdator. Am I missing someone?

With the opinions being split:
(applies to carry gun WML, not in general)
GTG & ef9 - for WML
prdator & gunbuffer - against WML

I don't feel too out of line questioning why the dismissal entirely of what I (and others far more qualified than I) see as a useful tool.

Maybe to be more concise (to all well trained individuals who recommend against WML for carry):

Given that the carrier is willing to train with the WML and understand its limitations in addition to the benefits, why do you recommend against a carrying a gun with a WML?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great discussion. Spencer is known to be a "keeper". Lol. He will appreciate that.
I don't have WML on any of my guns, but do keep a surefire on the person, and scattered around the house.
Most of the officers that come shoot our USPSA matches ask if they can use their carry guns, and all have the WML.
I do have a laser on my pocket gun which in the right situation can also pinpoint your location if not used properly.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Simply put, my comments above are more of a, "I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it." The XC1 is not a constant illumination and a WML is simply used for PID. I can get off the "X" quickly after using my WML for PID of BG. My WML will make me a target, but at least I know I won't be that guy who gets fcuked for blue on blue or shooting little noisy Bobby from down the street.

I understand fully the Spencer's statement. I've never had the opt to train with him, but trust people who trust him, so I listen to his thoughts on the matter, as an instructor and student should! I agree that most people who carry a WML does not train enough with it and doesn't know when to use it or how to use it correctly. Most leave that b!tch on while shooting or clearing and tactics go out the door.

I also don't want people to think that my WML is my only light. On duty I carry one on my belt, one on my outer carrier and a WML. Off duty, my EDC includes a handheld as well as an XC1 on my G19. Every situation dictates how things are handled, so again, I'd much rather have a WML and never need to use it then need a WML and not have it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom