Weapon retention while in a crowd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had something come up recently that I have noticed, and don't really have a stealthy solution to. Retention while carrying in crowded areas. Let's say you are walking through a crowd, standing in an elevator, or squeezing past someone walking down and aisle or such.... What do you do to make sure you have retention/make sure someone doesn't bump into your firearm? I feel the classic PD "hand on the holster/grip" is a bit obvious and menacing.

What do you guys do?

I found I feel a bit better if I put my thumb Of my draw hand in my back pocket, as my forearm then covers my weapon and it is in close reach. But I feel that motion isn't always feasible.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry OWB at 3:00. Arm naturally hangs over it when standing. If it gets rougher than that...Hang onto it. All that being said i avoid crowded places of at all possible except when in countries where everything is crowded. In those instances I don't have a firearm as it's not legal to do so.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry OWB at 3:00. Arm naturally hangs over it when standing. If it gets rougher than that...Hang onto it. All that being said i avoid crowded places of at all possible except when in countries where everything is crowded. In those instances I don't have a firearm as it's not legal to do so.

I recently picked up a decent OWB holster where I'll be trying that. I normally carry IWB @ 4 o clock, but all the open/semi open carrying I've been doing while fishing has really got me wanting to make OWB work for me like IWB does. I'm not a big fan of large groups of people and such, however at times it needs to happen.

This is just another perk of carrying appendix. It's a quick hold your hands in front and just make sure it's there.

I've thought and thought about it, but I can't even get myself to try and fit carrying appendi. Style. Just having my weapon pointed at the family jewels doesn't side well with me. I feel as if it is just adding another possibility of injury to my day. Just my thoughts though. I might have to "nut up" and just try it for a day.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually don't do anything special. I don't/rarely OC and my concealed holster has enough retention to survive more than casual contact. Most sheeple don't even look/think about what's under your shirt.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually don't do anything special. I don't/rarely OC and my concealed holster has enough retention to survive more than casual contact. Most sheeple don't even look/think about what's under your shirt.

Retention.... As in tension to keep the gun in place? Or do you have a lock/loop?
My IWB holster has more that enough tension to allow me to run a mile and jump a few fences, and shouldn't have to worry about my weapon being hard to draw or 300 yards back. But I don't necessarily consider that retention, in my case.

Same here. Just keep a shirt over it, and nobody notices. I OC in the woods and at the farm. That's all.

Just so we are clear, I have no intention of open carrying in public. I disagree with it unless it is for work or if the world was to go to crap and I had to shoot my way to homeland so I could get some more Folgers. When referring to OWB I was referencing carrying concealed still.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your holster should have enough tension to prevent someone from easily drawing it. I found out the hard way. We were in a roll over accident and my pistol came out of the holster. I was carrying IWB and had my shirt tucked in, so the pistol did not go anywhere. It did feel a little funny trying to get the pistol back into the holster without pulling my shirt out of my pants, especially with a bunch of police officers around. You just never know when you may end upside down. This was less than a week after my wife had given me a Glock 22 for Christmas. When I informed the officer that I had a concealed carry license, he ask where the firearm was and seemed to be happy that it was not somewhere in the upside down vehicle.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I generally carry my Keltic PF9 in my pocket, so it would be hard for someone to get to it and I guess I could say it was my cellphone which I also carry in my pocket, but not
the same pocket though. They wouldn't know which was which anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom