Weapon retention while in a crowd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your holster should have enough tension to prevent someone from easily drawing it. I found out the hard way. We were in a roll over accident and my pistol came out of the holster. I was carrying IWB and had my shirt tucked in, so the pistol did not go anywhere. It did feel a little funny trying to get the pistol back into the holster without pulling my shirt out of my pants, especially with a bunch of police officers around. You just never know when you may end upside down. This was less than a week after my wife had given me a Glock 22 for Christmas. When I informed the officer that I had a concealed carry license, he ask where the firearm was and seemed to be happy that it was not somewhere in the upside down vehicle.

That's pretty crazy. You just never know what may happen.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally carry my Keltic PF9 in my pocket, so it would be hard for someone to get to it and I guess I could say it was my cellphone which I also carry in my pocket, but not
the same pocket though. They wouldn't know which was which anyway.

I pocket carry. No big deal in crowds or otherwise.

I have considered pocket carry, however I hate having things in my pockets, and with my build (my thighs are like tree trunks) it makes it impractical and uncomfortable. I have considered picking up a g42 to carry it in my shorts during the summer, but again, I hate having things in my pockets.

OathTree_DFT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could always look at different holsters if you're overly concerned with retention. If the primary concern is keeping it in the holster, there are various options and designs to consider:
- Degree of cant
- Adjustable retention
- Fit to the body (how does the holster fit along the body for your carry position)
- Concealability
- Comfort
- What belt are you wearing?

Like most of the other members have already discussed, the majority of people are not concerned with or aware that others are carrying. Unless your SA is always at yellow or orange, you won't notice either (other than OC). What type of holster are you currently using?

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep your **** concealed.

If that fails it's fairly straightforward to guard a holstered handgun from your strong side hip up to appendix carry by pinioning your arm and elbow to your torso over the holstered blaster. If the have a hand attached to that blaster in your holster you can also do some damage to them in fairly short order.

Dude, seek training.

Ek

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could always look at different holsters if you're overly concerned with retention. If the primary concern is keeping it in the holster, there are various options and designs to consider:
- Degree of cant
- Adjustable retention
- Fit to the body (how does the holster fit along the body for your carry position)
- Concealability
- Comfort
- What belt are you wearing?

Like most of the other members have already discussed, the majority of people are not concerned with or aware that others are carrying. Unless your SA is always at yellow or orange, you won't notice either (other than OC). What type of holster are you currently using?

I am currently carrying an XDS 9mm in a looper leather Hybrid IWB holster. I wear a looper leather kydex belt. I have the clips adjusted to give me a slight amount of cant, and wear it at 4 o clock IWB. The concealability, fit, and comfort of my setup is amazing in any outfit. When Around people that know I carry on a daily basis they never know unless they are told or I am taking my shirt off. I can carry while driving several hours and never need to adjust or worry about discomfort, even in my little car with heavily bolstered seats.

I do have a bit of a problem of being in the yellow constantly. The only time I OC is if I am out in the woods or away from society. I usually just use the kydex paddle holster that was supplied with the springfield essentials kit. I believe strongly that OC will most of the time out a bullseye on your back.

Keep your **** concealed.

If that fails it's fairly straightforward to guard a holstered handgun from your strong side hip up to appendix carry by pinioning your arm and elbow to your torso over the holstered blaster. If the have a hand attached to that blaster in your holster you can also do some damage to them in fairly short order.

Dude, seek training.

Ek

As stated above, I keep it concealed. I have over 4 years of training and practical experience in weapons handling, retention, and use in all types of situations. I practice constantly to boot. I don't believe any amount of traing or practice will fully prepare you for any situation. Aside from training and experience, the streamlining of your gear and practices to reduce risks and remove variables when things go bad is the best anyone can do. Hence the discussion of weapons retention. Holding your arm against your weapon doesn't work very well if you have both hands full, wether it be groceries or with a hostile combatant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom