Weapon retention while in a crowd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the problem; I have been carrying since it was legal in Oklahoma and never had an issue with not being able to keep my pistol concealed and undetectable. I guess it could happen but I am having a hard time worrying about it. If my spider senses are tingling; I have damn sure got myself prepared, both mentally and physically, anyway. I mean, are we talking about being jostled around in a crowded public place or just a close hug from Grandma here? I think people have inadvertently felt an object on my belt line, sure, but nothing was ever said. Probably thought it was a cell phone or something...

Sent from my iPhone

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated above, I keep it concealed. I have over 4 years of training and practical experience in weapons handling, retention, and use in all types of situations. I practice constantly to boot.

Im not following you. If this is true, then you should already know the answer to your question. What is the nature of the training and practical experience you have?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same.

Keep it concealed, have a good holster, train on what to do if somebody tries to grab it. Carry a knife too.

I will say one advantage of appendix carry is that people don't usually make a habit of brushing up against dudes' crotchal regions (unless they're paid to, lol).

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the problem; I have been carrying since it was legal in Oklahoma and never had an issue with not being able to keep my pistol concealed and undetectable. I guess it could happen but I am having a hard time worrying about it. If my spider senses are tingling; I have damn sure got myself prepared, both mentally and physically, anyway. I mean, are we talking about being jostled around in a crowded public place or just a close hug from Grandma here? I think people have inadvertently felt an object on my belt line, sure, but nothing was ever said. Probably thought it was a cell phone or something...

Sent from my iPhone

Not really much of a problem, I'm just trying to reduce the inherent risks associated with carrying. keep myself sharp on these things and the overall mindset of carrying, Ya know?
And for the sake of the conversation, I am referencing pushed/jostled/bumped in a crowd. Not too worried about clueless people here, what I'm worrying about is overprotective vigilantes that like tackling CCWers as they walk into Walmart, or that guy who wants whatever he felt on your hip, cause your wallet he already picked didn't have anything in it.
Im not following you. If this is true, then you should already know the answer to your question. What is the nature of the training and practical experience you have?

The nature and practical experience has to do with long arms and side arms, most of the training was for high risk/high profile personnel and property security, police work, and crowd control. The rest had to do with playing in the sandbox, searching hajis and such.

Same.

Keep it concealed, have a good holster, train on what to do if somebody tries to grab it. Carry a knife too.

I will say one advantage of appendix carry is that people don't usually make a habit of brushing up against dudes' crotchal regions (unless they're paid to, lol).

I've never really understood the logic behind carrying a backup weapon or knife. Yes, with the malfunction or loss of a weapon it is really nice to have, however I see it as unnecessary bulk and something that the aggressor can use against you. If you have two weapons or hell, just think if for lunch you have two cheeseburgers; you only need one to get full, so if someone is nearby and says they are gonna steal your burger, you won't be on as high of guard or as quick to act as if you only had one burger. You'll likely let them, as you only need one burger. You only need (hopefully) one round from one firearm to stop a threat, so how I see it is similar to the cheeseburger situation. you'll subconciously be relying on your backup (or primary) to save you, rather than just using the primary. Having 2 firearms on your person in a scuffle means that one will likely be unprotected and up for grabs to the highest bidder. Am I thinking logically or just getting crazy right now?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I said this...
because your response to this...
Dude, seek training.Ek
was this...
As stated above, I keep it concealed. I have over 4 years of training and practical experience in weapons handling, retention, and use in all types of situations. I practice constantly to boot. I don't believe any amount of traing or practice will fully prepare you for any situation. Aside from training and experience, the streamlining of your gear and practices to reduce risks and remove variables when things go bad is the best anyone can do. Hence the discussion of weapons retention. Holding your arm against your weapon doesn't work very well if you have both hands full, wether it be groceries or with a hostile combatant.
which, when combined with this...
Not really much of a problem, I'm just trying to reduce the inherent risks associated with carrying. keep myself sharp on these things and the overall mindset of carrying, Ya know?
And for the sake of the conversation, I am referencing pushed/jostled/bumped in a crowd. Not too worried about clueless people here, what I'm worrying about is overprotective vigilantes that like tackling CCWers as they walk into Walmart, or that guy who wants whatever he felt on your hip, cause your wallet he already picked didn't have anything in it.

The nature and practical experience has to do with long arms and side arms, most of the training was for high risk/high profile personnel and property security, police work, and crowd control. The rest had to do with playing in the sandbox, searching hajis and such.

I've never really understood the logic behind carrying a backup weapon or knife. Yes, with the malfunction or loss of a weapon it is really nice to have, however I see it as unnecessary bulk and something that the aggressor can use against you. If you have two weapons or hell, just think if for lunch you have two cheeseburgers; you only need one to get full, so if someone is nearby and says they are gonna steal your burger, you won't be on as high of guard or as quick to act as if you only had one burger. You'll likely let them, as you only need one burger. You only need (hopefully) one round from one firearm to stop a threat, so how I see it is similar to the cheeseburger situation. you'll subconciously be relying on your backup (or primary) to save you, rather than just using the primary. Having 2 firearms on your person in a scuffle means that one will likely be unprotected and up for grabs to the highest bidder. Am I thinking logically or just getting crazy right now?
Tells me you haven't had relevant training, or you are searching for a hardware solution for a software problem.
The best advice you received in this thread was to seek training. That implies training for the specific problem you have set forth. I suggest you contact EK via pm, or send me your email addy and I will put you in touch with the people who do this sort of thing for a living and are exceptional instructors with relevant real world experience.
I am not demeaning you, I am not insulting your training to date. If you find yourself feeling defensive about what I am saying, then you are making a mistake. Every one of us have gaps in our skill sets and should "seek training".
In fact, I will take it a step further by saying outright I do not have enough practice or training in this area. However, I know people who have and they have no problem letting me know I have a deficiency that needs to be corrected.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom