Wearing a mask when out and about

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's not true? I only mentioned N95s because they're the commonly discussed mask today.

Most folks don't have access to half or full face respirators . . . and don't get fit tested with other masks.

What's the point in wearing one if you're not properly fit tested?

M
ore opinions that aren’t true. You need to research and understand before you start spouting things online that other people may listen to.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-...-respiratory-illnesses-in-primary-care-staff/

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2749214

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ainst_Respirable_Particles_Carrying_Pathogens

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Oh shove it . . . . I said what has commonly been said about the various types of masks for years. Some are meant to protect the wearer and others are meant to protect others around the wearer.

Proper wear and fit testing of N95s and other half-face respirators are preferred when available and you know it.

From your first link:

VERDICT

Standard surgical masks are as effective as respirator masks (e.g. N95, FFP2, FFP3) for preventing infection of healthcare workers in outbreaks of viral respiratory illnesses such as influenza. No head to head trial of these masks in COVID-19 has yet been published, and neither type of mask prevents all infection. Both types of mask need to be used in combination with other PPE measures. Respirator masks are recommended for protection during aerosol generating procedures (AGPs). Rapid reviews on wider PPE measures, and what counts as an AGP, are ongoing.

From your second link:

Conclusions and Relevance Among outpatient health care personnel, N95 respirators vs medical masks as worn by participants in this trial resulted in no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza.​

What other factors were involved hear? What other precautions were taken in the outpatient settings involved?

Your third link discusses the variations in testing and training for wear . . . hopefully you're not implying that neither are important and that we should just be handing out PPE to folks and hope that they can just "figure it out".

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh shove it . . . . I said what has commonly been said about the various types of masks for years. Some are meant to protect the wearer and others are meant to protect others around the wearer.

Proper wear and fit testing of N95s and other half-face respirators are preferred when available and you know it.

From your first link:

VERDICT

Standard surgical masks are as effective as respirator masks (e.g. N95, FFP2, FFP3) for preventing infection of healthcare workers in outbreaks of viral respiratory illnesses such as influenza. No head to head trial of these masks in COVID-19 has yet been published, and neither type of mask prevents all infection. Both types of mask need to be used in combination with other PPE measures. Respirator masks are recommended for protection during aerosol generating procedures (AGPs). Rapid reviews on wider PPE measures, and what counts as an AGP, are ongoing.

From your second link:

Conclusions and Relevance Among outpatient health care personnel, N95 respirators vs medical masks as worn by participants in this trial resulted in no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza.​

What other factors were involved hear? What other precautions were taken in the outpatient settings involved?

Your third link discusses the variations in testing and training for wear . . . hopefully you're not implying that neither are important and that we should just be handing out PPE to folks and hope that they can just "figure it out".
It’s okay that you were wrong and it’s okay to admit it.
Of course being fit tested with a N95 is preferable. What you were implying is that regular masks don’t work so why wear them? You said N95’s are the only masks that protect the wearer. This is completely false. So stop spreading dangerous information that isn’t correct.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s okay that you were wrong and it’s okay to admit it.
Of course being fit tested with a N95 is preferable. What you were implying is that regular masks don’t work so why wear them? You said N95’s are the only masks that protect the wearer. This is completely false. So stop spreading dangerous information that isn’t correct.

If you'd bother to read what I said I clearly indicated why I specifically mentioned N95 masks. I never mentioned anything about regular masks. I mentioned N95s and dust masks . . . I'm well aware that there are other types of masks in use at healthcare facilities.

I wasn't implying anything. My post was very clear. Not my fault you made an assumption and ran with it.

There are levels of protection. That is what I was getting at. Wearing a mask just to wear a mask should never be seen as providing any acceptable level of protection if you aren't wearing it properly.

This thread is about the public wearing masks "when out and about" right? You think the general public knows proper techniques for donning/doffing PPE?

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
N95’s were best. Fit testing didn’t make a difference. Surgical type masks were better than nothing at protecting the wearer. So yeah, giving people PPE and “letting them figure it out” will work.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21477136

Of course SOMETHING is better than nothing . . . but expecting people to "figure it out" is ridiculous because everyone won't. They'll reuse masks meant for single uses. They won't properly clean multiple use masks.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think that the point is that any type of mask whether it be homemade from cloth or a bandana type mask, dust mask, surgical mask, or respirator mask (N95) provides some protection for the wearer but the respirator masks definitely provide the most protection.

This was posted earlier with a link to the article it is from.
ca07ea75b044d99fe2a750d6563d1c65.jpg

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“N95s are the only masks to protect the wearer.”

Exact quote from your post. Dead wrong.

Whatever. I told you why I mentioned that mask. Why are facilities so desperate to get them then?

Could I have worded it better? Sure.

Hope feeling like you won an internet discussion makes your day . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom