Wearing a mask when out and about

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For sure. I finally had to break down and go to the store and get some things. Some people had masks some didn't. There were couples where the wife had one and the husband did not, which makes her use worthless. Way too many people wanting to be on top of you instead of staying away. That is the reason why I wore the P100 respirator I have. I also wore nitrile gloves, glasses to keep my eyes at least partially shielded though I wish I had something better I didn't want to destroy my scuba mask, a hoodie pulled over along with some sweatpants. When I got outside before entering my vehicle I shed the hoodie and sweatpants, then mask and finally gloves, cleaned hands and wiped down face with alcohol. Groceries went in the bed and got a spray with sanitizer.

When I got home clothes went straight to the wash and I hit the shower. Then things were brought in and dealt with. Mask was left in the vehicle. Steering wheel and door were again sanitized and mask was left to sit. Studies have show after 72 hours without contact surfaces are generally cleared of any contamination and at higher temps it happens faster. The inside of my vehicle should get warm when the sun hits but it's not like I am going anywhere soon anyway right now.

I would say less than 30% of the workers wore masks and around 50% of the shoppers had something over their face. Though nearly none had their eyes shielded in some way. I didn't hang around long enough to determine if other derpery was happening though. It was a Walter moment, "Get yer $#!7 and get out."

As far as the back and forth happening, I understand you both and different schools of thought come at things with a different outlook. Something is better than nothing but way too many people treat something as just as good as the actual good stuff. While walking around I got a few looks and one compliment that I had better than anyone else, with a big respirator and fuscia filters I looked like I was ready to rob a bank but I know that every single person in the store was a potential death sentence and do my best to treat it that way. I have been exposed to clouds of ammonia when Terra Chemicals in Port Neal, IA exploded https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Neal_fertilizer_plant_explosion and I am sure it didn't do my lungs any good, they also claim it all stayed within a few miles of the facility and I know better because there was a fog over 10 miles away that stunk of ammonia for a couple days we also lost birds due to the exposure, a check was cut to my mother to cover costs too albeit while admitting no wrongdoing. I was also exposed to paint thinner for a few months when I was 10 or 11 and that probably caused an issue or two as well. I worked construction and was around the concrete dust without much other than later on I bought a mask because I was wheezing when I would be done working and coughing up concrete colored snot. I also have a neighbor who has lung issues and congestive heart failure and me being safe will help her to be safe as well if she comes over to visit.

Many people treat it as just another day and even if they wear ppe they don't do things correctly. Even I can't say I did everything perfectly but I know I did what I could with what I have available and evaluated things I could have done differently to make it better. With the mentality the majority of people have they may as well have nothing. Throwing out who is best and who knows better is irrelevant, if you want to have a penis waving contest I suggest meeting in a field with a camera recording (so we can all have a good laugh) while you stand ten feet apart and size up.
Did you go to Crest, if so which one? If another store, which one and where. Just curious as to where the activity is.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For sure. I finally had to break down and go to the store and get some things. Some people had masks some didn't. There were couples where the wife had one and the husband did not, which makes her use worthless. Way too many people wanting to be on top of you instead of staying away. That is the reason why I wore the P100 respirator I have. I also wore nitrile gloves, glasses to keep my eyes at least partially shielded though I wish I had something better I didn't want to destroy my scuba mask, a hoodie pulled over along with some sweatpants. When I got outside before entering my vehicle I shed the hoodie and sweatpants, then mask and finally gloves, cleaned hands and wiped down face with alcohol. Groceries went in the bed and got a spray with sanitizer.

When I got home clothes went straight to the wash and I hit the shower. Then things were brought in and dealt with. Mask was left in the vehicle. Steering wheel and door were again sanitized and mask was left to sit. Studies have show after 72 hours without contact surfaces are generally cleared of any contamination and at higher temps it happens faster. The inside of my vehicle should get warm when the sun hits but it's not like I am going anywhere soon anyway right now.

I would say less than 30% of the workers wore masks and around 50% of the shoppers had something over their face. Though nearly none had their eyes shielded in some way. I didn't hang around long enough to determine if other derpery was happening though. It was a Walter moment, "Get yer $#!7 and get out."

As far as the back and forth happening, I understand you both and different schools of thought come at things with a different outlook. Something is better than nothing but way too many people treat something as just as good as the actual good stuff. While walking around I got a few looks and one compliment that I had better than anyone else, with a big respirator and fuscia filters I looked like I was ready to rob a bank but I know that every single person in the store was a potential death sentence and do my best to treat it that way. I have been exposed to clouds of ammonia when Terra Chemicals in Port Neal, IA exploded https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Neal_fertilizer_plant_explosion and I am sure it didn't do my lungs any good, they also claim it all stayed within a few miles of the facility and I know better because there was a fog over 10 miles away that stunk of ammonia for a couple days we also lost birds due to the exposure, a check was cut to my mother to cover costs too albeit while admitting no wrongdoing. I was also exposed to paint thinner for a few months when I was 10 or 11 and that probably caused an issue or two as well. I worked construction and was around the concrete dust without much other than later on I bought a mask because I was wheezing when I would be done working and coughing up concrete colored snot. I also have a neighbor who has lung issues and congestive heart failure and me being safe will help her to be safe as well if she comes over to visit.

Many people treat it as just another day and even if they wear ppe they don't do things correctly. Even I can't say I did everything perfectly but I know I did what I could with what I have available and evaluated things I could have done differently to make it better. With the mentality the majority of people have they may as well have nothing. Throwing out who is best and who knows better is irrelevant, if you want to have a penis waving contest I suggest meeting in a field with a camera recording (so we can all have a good laugh) while you stand ten feet apart and size up.
Not trying to measure. I’m just trying to follow the path of least regret. Not spew incorrect or misleading info that may cost someone their health or life. Everything I said was backed up by science.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over-glasses shooting goggles do the trick for good wraparound eye protection. Realized by looking in the red-view mirror after my first stop that I had my homemade bandana mask on inside out...oh well...too late to change it now

It's an interesting experience: trying to figure out what people are thinking. I aim to err on the over-prepared side. A few maskless people seem 100% oblivious. I detect some concern in most maskless people.... have to wonder why they don't make a simple mask and use it.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Throwing out who is best and who knows better is irrelevant, if you want to have a penis waving contest I suggest meeting in a field with a camera recording (so we can all have a good laugh) while you stand ten feet apart and size up.

Not sure what this is getting at but I don't recall ever telling anyone I know better about anything . . . I never called myself an expert.

Plus . . . what you suggested sounds really, really gay . . . .

I offered an opinion and made some comments . . .

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am ready to rock this out. And the chicks will dig it too! :)
1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom