Weatherby Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man00

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
While browsing around at the local gun show this weekend I notice there was only one Weatherby Rifle that I seen. What's the deal? did their quality go down? I used to have a .340mag and it was a great gun, I know their ammo was a pain to buy.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They made a bunch for WalMart. I have been told that the quality was not up to the reputation they have had for a long time.

My personal opinion is that reputation has for a good many years not been deserved. A friend of mine fell with a Weatherby on some sharp rocks about 20 years ago. The barrel was cut deeply enouth that his smith deemed it unsafe. That's some soft steel. Maybe just a bad batch? CB

pdcrig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I'd pay the price that Weatherby is asking on any of their rifles. Go with a Howa 1500 and you get about the same thing at a lot lower price. Howa is one of the firearms world's best kept secrets.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old weatherby's were over priced.
But they were a real decent rifle just the same.

I had some friends who were a little snootie and that's all they shot.
Me thinks they thought the price tag meant they were better.
Weatherbys real claim to fame were thier oddball calibers imo.
Some were superior to the competition, but price/availablity kept lots of people away.

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old weatherby's were over priced.
But they were a real decent rifle just the same.

I had some friends who were a little snootie and that's all they shot.
Me thinks they thought the price tag meant they were better.
Weatherbys real claim to fame were thier oddball calibers imo.
Some were superior to the competition, but price/availablity kept lots of people away.

Definitely agreed. Got a .300 weatherby mag as a present years ago. I probably shot that gun 10 times. It looks nice and has a nice trigger. It's not more accurate than a Remington 700 but seems to be more unwieldy and heavier. It's been sitting in the safe for the past 10 years.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with the Remington 700 cdl sf in 257wby. I thought it was a sexy looking gun, and with 115gr noslers at 3400fps...the deer drop. I love the caliber, but the reason I went with the Remington over the Weatherby was, a. The Vanguard has a 24" barrel and the synthetic stock looked cheap. b. the mark V was out of my price range. Dad has a mark V deluxe in 300wby, but that is just because he got a good deal. I think the Mark V's are of great quality, but for the price it is debatable if they are worth it. IMHO the calibers are what make Weatherby great.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Mark V is considerably more expensive. 2-4x the price of a vanguard.
The main functional difference is the action and you can get the Mark V a little "shinier".

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vangard Vs. Mark V

That is the difference.

Exactly...

Mark V, made in the good old U.S of A.

Vanguard made in Japan in the same plant as HOWA rifles....(HOWA is an acronym that stands for House Of Weatherby Arms).

Mark V bolt, 9 locking lugs (5 on non magnum rifles), vanguard bolt, 2 locking lugs.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I'd pay the price that Weatherby is asking on any of their rifles. Go with a Howa 1500 and you get about the same thing at a lot lower price. Howa is one of the firearms world's best kept secrets.

Actually, the Howa is a Vanguard. Howa makes the Vanguard for Weatherby to put their name on it.

I have laid a Vanguard and a Howa 1500 next to each other and started taking them apart. The only difference you will see is the Vanguard has that cone looking shield thingy on the back of the bolt. The Howa doesn't. But that's the only difference.

You get the same rifle and save a little bit too.