1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Weed eater/string trimmer decision

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cowcatcher, Aug 11, 2019.

1. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Echo echo echo....

2. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The 2yr warranty was doubled to 4yrs on this Stihl cuz I bought a 6pack of oil at the same time I purchased the trimmer. Buying a gallon of Stihl motomix would've doubled the warranty also but buying that stuff doesn't make financial sense to me. I can buy their oil and good pure gas for much less. A gallon of Stihl motomix premix is $30. $13 buys enough oil to mix up 15gal. I've seen the internet arguments claiming the premix will prolong the carb parts life. Yeah well when I do the math I can buy another machine or two for the difference in cost of operation.

dennishoddy, blake711 and kwaynem like this.
  3. cm_osu

cm_osu Sharpshooter

My grandma bought a stihl rechargeable this year. I've been pretty impressed with it. Plenty of power for her needs and can get through almost 2 cuttings on 1 battery. I would consider one if I wasn't so bad about forgetting to recharge things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cowcatcher likes this.
  4. blake711

blake711 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Those prices are insane who would have thought lets put gas in a can with oil and charge 10x for it and people will buy it. After H.S. I worked at John Deere dealer and small engine place for a while. @Cowcatcher hit it on the head, the key is quality oil and strait gas.

If you are buying no name oil at dollar store and adding way to much to your ethanol gas your probably gonna have issue with your weed-eater brand curve shaft trimmer sooner than later. Also gas does go bad add sta-bil if you don't use it quickly or get rid of it after a season.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Cowcatcher and Louro like this.
  5. Engineman1960

Engineman1960 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Had a Stihl string trimmer for more than 20 years -- 2 stroke engine; my blower and edger ( also Stihl's) and my old mower ( Toro Commercial) used 2 cycle oil mixed fuel; I bought a new mower -- Honda commercial; 4 stroke -- does not use oil in the fuel. Long story short. I bought an EGO string trimmer -- Battery power; My cousin bought the EGO setup -- mower, blower; chain saw; string trimmer; I used his, when I went to visit. For him and me , they worked great. The blower really suck the battery down fast.
    I bought my string trimmer in 2016; they didn't offer a edger then; EGO offers a power stick; you just change the head for what you need.
    Light; easy to use. A co-worker had trouble with a battery (3 year limited warranty) he texted the receipt to EGO and EGO warrantied the battery.

Home Depot Link:
    https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Trimmers-String-Trimmers/EGO/N-5yc1vZbx8iZd9q?NCNI-5&searchRedirect=ego+string+trimmer&semanticToken=20002000011_20190812150039764535_l88j+20002000011+>++cnn:{0:0}+cnr:{0:0}+cnb:{0:0}+st:{ego+string+trimmer}:st+ct:{string+trimmer}:ct+br:{ego}:br+tgr:{No+stage+info}+qu:{ego+string+trimmer}:qu

Ego Website:
    https://egopowerplus.com

Just something to consider!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Cowcatcher likes this.
  6. Louro

Louro Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm going to show this vide to my wife, shame on her for complaining about is hard to start the weed eater........

kwaynem, Cowcatcher and blake711 like this.
  7. Preacherman

Preacherman Sharpshooter

I use a maruyama. Ever heard of them?

8. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Is it hard to get the medical card?

9. Preacherman

Preacherman Sharpshooter

Can't get it and own a firearm. Not that I own a firearm or anything. :)

Cowcatcher likes this.
  10. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I had never seen a maruyama. Google cured that. I did know a logger fella that had a shindaiwa(spelling?) in addition to a few stihls and he said it ran right with em.