Weed eater/string trimmer decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kobalt has that warranty on all there battery equipment, including drills and saws. Its one thing I point out when a customer comes in questions battery equipment I mention that warranty bring everything back to the store and we warranty swap out right there. The 40 volt batterys are cheaper to buy about 80 bucks, the 80 volt line the battery is about 150.

Echo though use to be good but over the years there quality for me has gone done, they went from a 2 ring piston to a one ring piston and have seen them burn up, but also helps to buy good quality gas to run in them.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kobalt has that warranty on all there battery equipment, including drills and saws. Its one thing I point out when a customer comes in questions battery equipment I mention that warranty bring everything back to the store and we warranty swap out right there. The 40 volt batterys are cheaper to buy about 80 bucks, the 80 volt line the battery is about 150.

Echo though use to be good but over the years there quality for me has gone done, they went from a 2 ring piston to a one ring piston and have seen them burn up, but also helps to buy good quality gas to run in them.

How is the power and run time on the 80 vs 40? I was thinking of getting the 80 as I’m used to running commercial equipment.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Echo though use to be good but over the years there quality for me has gone done, they went from a 2 ring piston to a one ring piston and have seen them burn up
I know some of the smaller engines have gone to a single ring especially in the consumer stuff. My blower is a 2.5 years old and its dual ring its also the biggest they sell. I have one of their small chainsaws that inst very old and its dual ring also. The thing to look for on small equipment is the sticker that shows the EPA compliance hours. 300 hours is commercial. Some of your inexpensive stuff with cranks with only one bearing would be 25 hours. I think everything has to be 50 now but haven't kept up with it.

Either way the battery powered stuff has killed off a lot of the entry level gas stuff. Li-on batts are amazing and the beauty of electric is the instant tourqe it generates.

20190813_182147.jpg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is the power and run time on the 80 vs 40? I was thinking of getting the 80 as I’m used to running commercial equipment.

Can't speak of the 80v Kobalt stuff, but the 40v trimmer gave me about two full property trims. About an acre, plus driveway, garden beds, and back patio. Good, full speed power until it dies. Takes about 45 minutes to recharge.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't speak of the 80v Kobalt stuff, but the 40v trimmer gave me about two full property trims. About an acre, plus driveway, garden beds, and back patio. Good, full speed power until it dies. Takes about 45 minutes to recharge.
I should have been more specific. I have commercial echo trimmer, edger and blower. I'm gonna start with polesaw and chainsaw to take care of the few trees around my property, specifically the tree line that hangs over my fence. I feel they might be safer than standing on a ladder with a 2 stroke monster since they start/stop almost immediately. If/when my other stuff wears out I may go battery but I have a half acre lot culdesac that's fenced, 2500 sq foot house that's sidewalk all the way around, and lots of sidewalk, curb to edge, I'd prob get my property once per charge, and maybe blown off. Blower would prob be second on my list, bro seems to like his and he's a commercial landscaper.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I bought cordless tools I went with Kobalt 24v. The warranty and the fact it's over the counter exchanges was a big plus. The extra batteries are cheaper than other brands too.

I went with the Kobalt 24V 1/2” impact gun to keep in the truck. Haven’t found a lug nut yet it won’t break loose.
Thought it met its match with a 7/8” stud and a 1 1/4” lug nut on a military trailer I have that I’m sure hasn’t been removed since the 70’s. Tires rotted and had to be replaced. It hammered and hammered, finally breaking all of them loose on a single charge.
Now that I know about the battery replacement, I’m even more impressed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom