1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Welding hood with a fan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARnut, Jul 12, 2018.

1. ARnut

ARnut Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Well I am here to pick some brains from the smart people at OSA. I have a miller auto dark hood that would work with their cooling belt system, but for 250 dollars I don’t know if that would be worth it. Anyone used one?
    I am thinking about installing a computer fan and battery in it but I am not that good with electronics. Anyone done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BReeves

BReeves Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Pretty easy, use a small (2 inch) fan and hang the battery off your belt. Without working the numbers will take a pretty good battery to last any length of time.

3. kwaynem

kwaynem Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You get it figured out where I can crawl around under and over pipe let me know ITS HOT!!

4. kwaynem

kwaynem Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Just a tip for welders if you have boots with the stitching running from the top to the toe you can spray them with clear flex seal and they will last longer sorry wasn’t trying to hijack just passing along a tip

dennishoddy likes this.
  5. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Even easier get a 40 cm fan and a 9v battery with one of the little clips to connect to it. Most pc fans will run just fine on 9v if just a little slower. If you want something that moves a ton of air get something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...249802?hash=item520ac8cbca:g:ycwAAOSwlzZbDvpp The fans are designed to spin up to around 12k RPM and there are two that are counter rotating. 7 of them fit in a 1U server and can move something like 16 cfm even with head pressure.

6. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Keep in mind if you have a fan pulling air into your hood then you run the risk of pulling more contaminates into your breathing zone-3M Speedglas rep here.

kwaynem and Poke78 like this.
  7. Poke78

Poke78 Sharpshooter

Exactly my first thought upon reading the thread title.