Welding up a reloading stand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to get a reloading stand welded up. 45" of 4x4 and 2 6" square plates with holes drilled for the top and bottom and then bolt it to the floor. Thinking 1/16th steel at a minimum.
Any idea what something like this would cost in materials and have welded up in the Tulsa area? We have some pretty skilled members among us that might be able to knock this out on the cheap.

CrossJ

Marksman
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking for.The past 9 years I have spent moving from place to place. I set up my reloading stuff to fit my gypsy life style. For my press I used a disc blade as a base and 1.5" sch 40 tubing as a riser.A piece of 2x2 angle at the top held the press. Everything else went into two containers I bought at walmart. I used the kitchen table as a bench for scales ,trickler etc. It was very convenient and would go into a closet when not needed. It sounds to me like what you are building may be a little overkill. The material I used was just scrap laying around. I did have an advantage though, in that I run a welding business for a living. Email me if you have any questions. I would take some pics, but I'm afraid I lost my camera in one of my moves....lol.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call up your local metal supply warehouse for prices. Box tubing/ stock in general comes in 20' lengths. I'd suggest 14 ga 3" box for the frame. Plate comes in various sizes, like 4'x8' or 5'x10'. They'll cut it for a price, but you could buy a decent 4-1/2" angle grinder and handful of cutoff wheels (Remove guard and use Metabo 6" slicer wheels) for about $50-$90 and have the grinder to to do all of your prep.

If you bring it to someone already cut, drilled and cleaned up for welding, they might do it cheap, but if it requires deburing and cleaning up it's going to cost more.

Don't forget that it has to be jigged up, clamped when welding or it'll end up out of square and wobble. Spend the time to wire wheel any rust off and put 2 decent coats of enamel on it.

Remember to ground it, and yourself to it if rolling blackpowder.

Unless you score free scrap to use, projects like these always end up costing more than planned and usually weigh too much :0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to get a reloading stand welded up. 45" of 4x4 and 2 6" square plates with holes drilled for the top and bottom and then bolt it to the floor. Thinking 1/16th steel at a minimum.
Any idea what something like this would cost in materials and have welded up in the Tulsa area? We have some pretty skilled members among us that might be able to knock this out on the cheap.

1/16" is way too thin.
I'd go 1/4 min, and prefer thicker.

Trust me.....the more rigid, the better it will be.

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here is my 0.02 on it. I had a buddy that died a couple yrs ago . He lived in Claremore his entire life. He was a competition shooter and a pretty good one at that. He shot pistol , rifle , shotgun and archery . He held state and natl titles in just about all of them. He was a very avid reloader. He had nice reloading benches and stands. My favorite idea that he had was making a portable stand out of steel that was heavy enough to use a press on , but , light enough to take to the range. Taking it to the range provides the ability to work up loads right there. Then you can tweek them right there on the spot. Best stand ever, however you could still build one thats permanent for your reloading room.

Another good point is you can take the portable stand out in the yard and deprime w/o a mess.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to Quick Service Steel in Tulsa, can't remember address but it's in the phone book. They have a scrap yard and you can probably find what you need in the way of material. If not exactly what you need you can surly find something that will work.

Once you get your material send me a PM and we will talk about getting it put together.

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Go to Quick Service Steel in Tulsa, can't remember address but it's in the phone book. They have a scrap yard and you can probably find what you need in the way of material. If not exactly what you need you can surly find something that will work.
Once you get your material send me a PM and we will talk about getting it put together.

Its in between Admiral and Pine on Peoria.

Quikservice does have pretty cool crap yard. I think they charge by the pound. They want a fee for cutting stuff though. So bring a trailer or a flatbed if you access to one. Otherwise ,if you find what youre looking for and its a 16' or 20' length then they are going to get you. I tried to bring a cordless sawzall and they said I couldnt use it back there b/c of ins. purposes.:mad:

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to buy new / uncut material go to Steel Services in Verdigris. Their prices are better for full pieces.

If you need help welding it, let me know.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its in between Admiral and Pine on Peoria.

Quikservice does have pretty cool crap yard. I think they charge by the pound. They want a fee for cutting stuff though. So bring a trailer or a flatbed if you access to one. Otherwise ,if you find what youre looking for and its a 16' or 20' length then they are going to get you. I tried to bring a cordless sawzall and they said I couldnt use it back there b/c of ins. purposes.:mad:

Thanks for the location, I can drive right to the place but couldn't tell you what street it's on. I've usually been able to find what I needed in a length I could handle. Only time I had them cut something was when I didn't take my pickup or bought a 20 foot new piece and had them cut it in half. Seem to remember the cut charge wasn't out of line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom