Well...I survived!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First round of shooting my reloads and I came back with all my arms, eyes and fingers.
I shot about 30 .38 Special, fairly light loads (pretty smokey I'd say) but they all went bang and exited the barrel. I shot them out of my Ruger (I'm not as good with it as I am my Smith, but its stouter and cheaper) and they grouped pretty decent. I'll try some more out of the Smith next time.

Also shot about 25 or so rounds of 45-70 from the Browning 1886...that was fun. I've not had the gun long and only had about 30 rounds through it before today. These were medium loads (not Trapdoor loads, not No. 1 loads) and it was a hoot. Makes me want to try one of the HOT 305gr loads just to see what it feels like.
Anywho, I was glad to have a successful day at the range with my home brew ammo.
14238252_1266382620073631_4277979158575264217_n (1).jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here comes the dumb question of the day... "How bad could it be?"
I could shoot the loads I had today all day without issue. I know a 305 at like 2,500fps is a whole different ballgame...but I have nothing to compare it to. I may try a few and just stick with the regular stuff.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how bad can it be - load up 3 or 4 and try em - I've never used the 305's but 405's will change your mind about "full house" loads....and you really don't need it....but, try em and keep us posted

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fun isn't it.
Depending on the rake of the stock and how well it fits your shoulder the kick could be brutal or not bad at all.
My CVA bob cat is a punisher we call it the mule . My model 94 30-30 hurts my shoulder more than my 30-06 Mossberg.

Then there is the one we call The Mule's Nightmare a very light single shot 12 gauge with full choke shooting a max turkey load 3 1/2" magnum.

2 rounds is all I wanted from that one.
Standing up shooting at a steel trash can 40 yards away It made me step back a few feet when I pulled the trigger. The gun barrel went up for the sky like I was not ready for it.
I thought ...I was not ready.. must have not had it on my shoulder real well..So I loaded another and this time I was planted and the gun was solid against my shoulder.

BOOM! same deal pushed me back a few feet and barrel went up. The front of the trigger guard hit my knuckle hard enough to scratch my knuckle.

My buddy shot it and it and it cut his knuckle.. Thing is brutal.. No turkey will stand a chance.
After the tears clear from your eyes you may be able to find the turkey.

Shoot the heavy load and report back. :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks.
Those loads are Federal premium #5 with 2 ounces of shot in a flight controlled wad moving 1300fps so the box claims.
Slugs do not kick that hard... most slugs are 1 ounce.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My savage smokeless muzzle loader shoots a 300 grain bullet at 2400 fps.
Looking at ballistic charts, that's about equal to a .416 Rigby elephant gun. It's very unpleasant to shoot. 3-4 rounds is plenty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom