Well, it appears my hard drive had cratered.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never knew that battery reset existed. Looks like it takes a paperclip. I don't have one tonight but will find one tomorrow and try that reset. For whatever reason the laptop started working tonight. Slow starting but it finally got up to speed.
Thanks for all the tips fellas!
If the drive is working, replacing it became easier, as both Samsung and Crucial have software you can use to clone the drive onto the SSD (if your SSD is one of theirs). And you'll want to do that sooner than later, as a drive that failed once will most likely fail again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the drive is working, replacing it became easier, as both Samsung and Crucial have software you can use to clone the drive onto the SSD (if your SSD is one of theirs). And you'll want to do that sooner than later, as a drive that failed once will most likely fail again.
Exactly. It's been failing off and on/running slow for a couple weeks. I'm currently on the road, so it will be a bit before getting it changed out.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. It's been failing off and on/running slow for a couple weeks. I'm currently on the road, so it will be a bit before getting it changed out.
They often work intermittently when failing, but you're pushing yer luck with every startup.

Do you have it backed up yet? If not, I urge you to do so, as soon as possible!
:drunk2:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have they addressed the finite number of read/write cycles of SSD’s? Last time I looked, it was rather small, and once that number was hit, the HDD just stopped working.
SSDs have nearly infinite read cycles, but writing to an SSD is an inherently damaging process, so they do have a limited lifespan. It's not really something that can be solved (it's just the way the writing process works), but the drive manufacturers mitigate it by overbuilding the drives so they have "spare" cells and by using a process called "wear leveling" to spread the writes out across the physical media.

Most consumer-level users aren't going to write enough to appreciably decrease the capacity of a decent SSD. We exclusively use SSDs for our data collection at work, and we're routinely filling 1TB drives on a weekly basis (when we were in full swing on a project, I was moving up to 25TB of new data every week). I've seen a few drives that have reduced capacity, but we're only talking a few GB lost on a 1TB drive, and those drives have been repeatedly filled, erased, and refilled over the course of a few years.

It's safe to say that I'm not worried about SSD durability in the slightest; all of my computers are running them. The only places I use spin drives are in my NAS at home (5TB SSDs aren't a thing yet) and in our storage servers at work (14TB SSDs really aren't a thing).

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a huge Amazon Prime user but have never heard of an Amazon Locker. Off to Duck Duck go.
Whole Foods (being owned by Amazon) stores usually have an Amazon Locker inside, but they usually have several other locations in larger towns. When I go to check out, Amazon usually has an "or use Amazon Locker" line below the shipping address.

Latest posts

Top Bottom