Well, it appears my hard drive had cratered.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
samsung EVO 250Gb is about $40 on BestBuy. 1 TB looks to be about $110. Basically you need to install the new drive.... Then boot from the install media and re-install windows from scratch. If you don't have any restore or OS media then you can typically download it from the machine MFG or even windows with he COA key (hopefully on a sticker somewhere on the machine)

CapnD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basically you need to install the new drive.... Then boot from the install media and re-install windows from scratch. If you don't have any restore or OS media then you can typically download it from the machine MFG or even windows with he COA key (hopefully on a sticker somewhere on the machine)

@tyromeo55 is correct, sometimes the key is also included in the paperwork that was with the laptop in the original box.

Yes, SSD you should notice a speed increase it will also increase battery life.

And if I were going to replace the drive and not the laptop, I would look to an SSD. It obviously could be smaller given your use (say 250GB) and @tyromeo55 is correct about the speed increase and battery life, not to mention your boot up will be noticeably faster.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have they addressed the finite number of read/write cycles of SSD’s? Last time I looked, it was rather small, and once that number was hit, the HDD just stopped working.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t get past the no bootable device icon that comes on to the screen which tells me the CPU doesn’t recognize the hard drive exists.

Anyone know the Acer F key on win 10 to enter safe mode when it’s trying to boot?
I’ll try that or look into bios and see if anything is there.

Go into setup & change boot priority to cd or usb (whatever one has the repair or install files). Then maybe it will fix boot files to recognize the hard drive. After fixing it, go back in & save important files, then maybe get a new ssd drive.

I have a win 10 & win 7 repair cd if you need one

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New computer, then attach the old hard drive to the new computer with a USB adapter so you can possibly save data from the old one.
Sometimes the old one won't boot the computer but you can still read from it.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Have they addressed the finite number of read/write cycles of SSD’s? Last time I looked, it was rather small, and once that number was hit, the HDD just stopped working.
The average user will never be effected by that, not to mention the tech has advanced a lot since SSD's first hit the scene. I have a cloned ssd sitting in my drawer , because of that worry, for 3-4 years now, which at this point has now just become a paper weight because I moved to PCI ssd about 6 months ago.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I have an Acer Aspire F5 (cheapie laptop). Have you tried the battery reset button via the tiny hole in the bottom? There's a small icon next to it.
Also there's an Alt / F10 tapping procedure as part reformatting the hard drive.
Did you create a recovery flash drive when you set it up as new? I'm sure you were prompted to do that.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Acer Aspire F5 (cheapie laptop). Have you tried the battery reset button via the tiny hole in the bottom? There's a small icon next to it.
Also there's an Alt / F10 tapping procedure as part reformatting the hard drive.
Did you create a recovery flash drive when you set it up as new? I'm sure you were prompted to do that.
I've never knew that battery reset existed. Looks like it takes a paperclip. I don't have one tonight but will find one tomorrow and try that reset. For whatever reason the laptop started working tonight. Slow starting but it finally got up to speed.
Thanks for all the tips fellas!

Latest posts

Top Bottom