Well, It Happened I got Scammed-Sort Of...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my car tag sticker the other day and the clerk gave me the registration paper and said, "It is a requirement now that you have this paper in the car." Also, now if we trade-in a car we take the old tags off and put them on the new car. I didn't ask why, I figure it's because too many people are running around with the car tags on the car they bought without insurance or benefit of a driver's license.
If it saves me another 2am call from the cops about a car I've not owned for almost a year, I'm all for it. Seriously, two times in a row, after I traded in a car (at major dealerships, no less), about a year later I got a call from a local PD about 2am in the morning. Both went like this:
"Is this Mr. SoonerP226?"
"Yes. Who is this?"
"This is Officer Copley from <insert OKC area PD>. Do you own an <insert make and model of traded-in car>?"
"Not since I traded it to <insert big-name OKC dealership> about a year ago."
"Oh. Did you sell it?"
"I traded it to <insert big-name OKC dealership> about a year ago."
"Oh. OK. Sorry to bother you. Have a nice night."
<click>

I kid you not--both of them asked what I'd done with the car immediately after I'd told them when and where I'd traded it...

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those two $1 charges are for gas. Usually the station will charge the card a dollar then in a couple days the rest of the amount will show up on your account.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I checked my account on the internet and they changed the card numbers, supposed to send a new card and now i see that i have $150.00 and $31.21 charges in Harlingen so ill need to file a fraud report to have charges removed. Another irritant, i have to go to the credit union to straighten this out. Addendum: Went to the CU and they prepared the form for me I put a few particulars on the form such as when I found out of the fraud, when I last used the CC etc and they said they'd take care of the fraudulent charges. I asked who paid for the fraud and found out the CU will.

Last edited:

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those two $1 charges are for gas. Usually the station will charge the card a dollar then in a couple days the rest of the amount will show up on your account.
i believe it's a "placeholder" charge that shows
the pump was turned on with the card. if you pay at the pump the actual amount replaces it. if you go in and pay cash (why would you) it disappears (supposedly).

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i believe it's a "placeholder" charge that shows
the pump was turned on with the card. if you pay at the pump the actual amount replaces it. if you go in and pay cash (why would you) it disappears (supposedly).
It did disappear and the two charges for $150 and $31.21 took their place. Besides advising the manager of what happened, I sent an email to Olive Garden HQ today. Yes, I suspect the waiter, I don't buy gas that often, maybe once per month.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It did disappear and the two charges for $150 and $31.21 took their place. Besides advising the manager of what happened, I sent an email to Olive Garden HQ today. Yes, I suspect the waiter, I don't buy gas that often, maybe once per month.

Somebody filled up a large vehicle and then a smaller one. Okietool is right, those dollar charges are a place holder charge.

The last time my card got compromised somebody used my number to rent an uber for $7.50, then tipped the driver .50 cents. I tried numerous times to contact uber but they wouldn't contact me back, so I filed a dispute with the bank and money was returned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom