Well now I’m developing the project vehicle itch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I think I’m gonna go a different route than my previous message. A whole new route entirely. After having to get my engine torn down and rebuilt in the 2015 Silverado, and fighting all these dang electronic alarms and bells, I want an old truck. Gonna sell the Silverado, get something nice, and economical for daily transportation, and start piecing together a do everything kinda truck. I think I’ve settled on a K30 or K40 M1008 CUCV. Kinda leaning towards the K40 due to it being easier to find in the regular cab, long bed single rear wheel configuration. Probably gonna swap a 12v 6bt backed by an NV4500 into it. Gonna be a fair amount of work, but I’ll be able to have something relatively simple, that can tow whatever I want, and get me out in the sticks when needed.
So, anyone have any leads on a 12v 6bt, an NV4500, or a regular cab, long bed, single rear wheel k30 or k40 for a decent price?

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So I think I’m gonna go a different route than my previous message. A whole new route entirely. After having to get my engine torn down and rebuilt in the 2015 Silverado, and fighting all these dang electronic alarms and bells, I want an old truck. Gonna sell the Silverado, get something nice, and economical for daily transportation, and start piecing together a do everything kinda truck. I think I’ve settled on a K30 or K40 M1008 CUCV. Kinda leaning towards the K40 due to it being easier to find in the regular cab, long bed single rear wheel configuration. Probably gonna swap a 12v 6bt backed by an NV4500 into it. Gonna be a fair amount of work, but I’ll be able to have something relatively simple, that can tow whatever I want, and get me out in the sticks when needed.
So, anyone have any leads on a 12v 6bt, an NV4500, or a regular cab, long bed, single rear wheel k30 or k40 for a decent price?

best I can do is a C10 or C20

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m a Cummins guy through and through. There are other good diesel options, but the 4BT, 6BT, and Big Cam 855 are motors that outdo all other diesels in their class. Bar none, end of conversation. But for a “compact” vehicle swap, after a lot of research on the topic for my own interests, I have to give my .02.

A 4BT, though an excellent engine, would lack real world application in a Jeep sized vehicle. Much too heavy... look the specs up, comparing to a same displacement gas engine, the weight just takes it out of consideration for me. Even in 6BT 1 ton pickup swaps, going into trucks made in the early 90s or earlier, people are having to box the frame to keep from causing damage. Also, the 4BT has become REALLY pricey lately, and unless you find a deal, you’ll pay more than you would for a 6BT, and there’s way less aftermarket swap support. The slight increase over a 6BT in MPG is overshadowed by the lack of power that it has compared to its big brother. They were great in industrial settings, being the power plant of most 90s Case equipment and outshining all competitors in cheap power, reliability, and longevity; their use for vehicle swaps just doesn’t impress me the way the 6BT does. For an engine bay too small to handle the 5.9, usually the frame and size of that vehicle will be in a class where a small, lightweight inline 6 gas burner would be a much more appropriate, if not simply safer and more reliable solution.

You’ll be hard pressed to beat the 4.0 6 cylinder Jeep made. Plenty of 350 swaps out there doing great but I’d still rather have the 4.0. The Ford 300 and Yota 2JZ are also exemplary inline 6 gasoline motors, but Jeeps 4.0 has a great reputation for a reason.
Read a list of companies that support and donate to gun control on a NRA news letter years ago, Cummins was one of them.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Read a list of companies that support and donate to gun control on a NRA news letter years ago, Cummins was one of them.

What did they specifically donate to? Pretty sure the NRA itself is about gun control too now. They quit being about our 2nd Amendment rights years ago.

Regardless I would still rather be Cummin’ than Strokin’.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 1990 F150 short bed reg cab I’ve been considering selling. If interested send me a pm. I want a cargo van that’s similar in age and with the same inline 6.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not buying a new one so I’m not affecting their bottom line any. And as traitorous as the NRA is, doing the opposite of what they say is pretty safe advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom