Well people, Today I pulled the trigger,,,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations. Think of a hobby you’ve always wanted to try and never had the time. Part time work or volunteer work could be an answer. The main thing is enjoy it and do what you want to do, when you want to do it. It takes a while to make the adjustment but it’s a good adjustment. Enjoy your retirement

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I planned retirement. Sold our house and property in 2011 and moved into our RV. Retired in 2014 and headed west to live and explore.

Love the freedom to move around and see new things. We were asked at church the other day as to what or who we might have been had we been born a few hundred years back. My answer was pretty quick...explorer. 74 and still exploring, with plans to go to Utah and Arizona in November.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last Dec. I was at the vacation pick meeting at work and a friend asked me if I had looked at the numbers ? He was talking about a floating insurance rate that if it is low you get more retirement money. I said "No, I plan on working another 3 or 4 years". He said you should look at the numbers. I checked them out on the company computer. That rate was .25. So I took our information up town to a retirement expert and she said you could go tomorrow. I was 13 weeks shy of 40 years, but with my usually overtime , I had 45 years in. I went to HR to retire and the gal there handed me about 10 sheets of text and said "You get on the computer and do it yourself" When the Ponca City Refinery was Conoco it was a pretty good place to work. Phillips 666 really screwed it up. Retirement is great. It takes some getting used to but, you will. Enjoy it.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations! I can’t imagine anyone not enjoying retirement as long as you find things you love to do and keep busy doing them. Much better than doing things you “have” to do. I was fortunate and able to retire last December at 58 years old. My wife is amazed that my thinning hair started to grow back-in after 3 months of retirement. [emoji3]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been retired for 7 years. As soon as I was eligible for SS, talked to the financial guy and he told me to retire and never look back.
Wife had to work another 3 years, although it was by her choice + the company was closing her workplace and if she stayed to the end she got one hell of a bonus.
Like others have said, find something to do after you finish cleaning up the property, and think about traveling in an RV after you sell it.
There are more single travelers out on the road these days than I would have ever imagined.
We traveled a lot before retiring in country and internationally so gravitating to an RV to see the parts of this great country we've never visited before came naturally.
Its absolutely wonderful to wake up in the morning, grab a fly rod and spend the day working trout up and down the streams in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world while thinking of past co-workers sweating their butts off in the hot Oklahoma sun. :D

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations on the retirement.I retired at 55 and was glad i did.Haven't worked for 5 years and find plenty of things to keep me busy.The cooler weather will be here soon and i will quit wasting my time working in the yard and go to the range more often.

Latest posts

Top Bottom