Well #$%@@!$*.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to do it, but I've got to rant for a bit, and ask for prayers. Few weeks ago my Wife messed up her shoulder, can't prove it was work related because the pain was a gradual thing this time, and just continued to get worse, eventually requiring surgical intervention.

Fast forward to today, we just finished with the wifey`s second post surgical follow up with the orthopaedic surgeon, and even though the surgery went well, and was successful, she was told that her bedside, and ER nurse career is over.

This was her second surgery on the same joint, and the doctor said If she were to injure her shoulder again it would require a total replacement. As it is right now we are looking at another 12 weeks of recovery before she can even think about trying to return to work WITH restrictions, plus her boss has already told her that HR is wanting her gone if she cannot return to work this Saturday.

Well, that's about it BOHICA, we could really use some t&p on this. Thanks.

Squid out.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a shame your wife was injured. Proving it was work related will be difficult, but not impossible.

Also, there are many facets to the Nursing profession. As an RN, she can go into administration at almost any facility.

I have a sister in law that is the head RN at a VA facility in another state. She is involved in the day to day work, but not physically. She is regularly on the floor, and knows the patients by name and sight.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers sent. My wife comes home with tweaked back on occasion. Some of the stuff they have to deal with is crazy.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to do it, but I've got to rant for a bit, and ask for prayers. Few weeks ago my Wife messed up her shoulder, can't prove it was work related because the pain was a gradual thing this time, and just continued to get worse, eventually requiring surgical intervention.

I don't know the specifics but just because the pain wasn't acute doesn't mean it wasn't a workplace injury.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was her second surgery on the same joint, and the doctor said If she were to injure her shoulder again it would require a total replacement. As it is right now we are looking at another 12 weeks of recovery before she can even think about trying to return to work WITH restrictions, plus her boss has already told her that HR is wanting her gone if she cannot return to work this Saturday..
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the FMLA should prevent them from firing her over this, and any HR professional should know that. That sounds suspiciously like her boss is trying to pull a shenanigan. I'm not one for running to Uncle Sugar for anything, but if the law is there, you might as well use it.

I'd also suggest talking to a worker's comp attorney. Aside from the financial impact of the surgery, it's just about impossible to fire someone out on worker's comp.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If H.R. wants her gone it will only be a matter of time before she is or they will make her miserable as long as she is there.I have always heard H.R. is not your friend.Lots of options for a nurse.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the FMLA should prevent them from firing her over this, and any HR professional should know that. That sounds suspiciously like her boss is trying to pull a shenanigan. I'm not one for running to Uncle Sugar for anything, but if the law is there, you might as well use it.

I'd also suggest talking to a worker's comp attorney. Aside from the financial impact of the surgery, it's just about impossible to fire someone out on worker's comp.

If she’s at 12+ weeks, she’s exceed FMLA protections and a position doesn’t have to be protected for the employee. They can let her go at that point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom