Well #$%@@!$*.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
After having to deal with two sets of elderly relatives that required home health care then passed away last year I can tell you home nurses and home hospice nurses are in great demand. The HR butthead is probably doing her a favor. She can join a company that does this or go on her own.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Proving it was work related can be done but it is exhausting. You'll have to talk with a workers comp lawyer. I used Brandon Burton in OKC. I don't know if he is the best but he won 3 separate cases for me. Final one was getting workers comp trust fund. But you will need about 70% disability rating to even try. I filed for cumulative trama due to repetitive type work.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the FMLA should prevent them from firing her over this, and any HR professional should know that. That sounds suspiciously like her boss is trying to pull a shenanigan. I'm not one for running to Uncle Sugar for anything, but if the law is there, you might as well use it.

I'd also suggest talking to a worker's comp attorney. Aside from the financial impact of the surgery, it's just about impossible to fire someone out on worker's comp.

If she’s at 12+ weeks, she’s exceed FMLA protections and a position doesn’t have to be protected for the employee. They can let her go at that point.

FMLA is up. It's just the whole loyalty and timing thing that put me off . she has been the go to person for so long you would think that a decent . never mind. Know she has options and all, it just falls back to the whole taking care of your people thing with me. It one of those they could if they wanted to situations. Oh well, like she was saying last night, their loss, all they care about now is year end bonuses anyway. So now it's onward and upward as they say.

Aannnddd on another note, guess that people were waiting to see what was going to happen with this because once the word got out last night about what was happening several nurses and techs quit.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure there's a hospital in OK that doesn't have a nurse shortage. I know my wife has relayed several instances where certain ones have been put on light duty as well.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Companies that consider their employees as "people" are rare these days. They are referenced as "resources" no different than equipment or office supplies. The more you can cut back on consumption the more you can increase margins.

As you said though, she has a very marketable skillset and finding something else will likely not be a problem.

Thoughts and Prayers sent.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think looking into the Comp would be good for if your lady suffers further problems down the road, having some prior evidence of injury would just be good planning. IMO and your mileage may vary

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Lots of good suggestions here. And, yes, competent nurses can always find a job. I'm sure it will work out, hopefully with a better job than the one she 'might' be leaving!

Latest posts

Top Bottom