Went to banner yesterday. Why i reload.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took my 30-06 and .308 and the wife's .243
took my 45acp pistol and rifle also.
Reminded again why i reload...A guy I met there had a Remington XHR .308 with Vortex Viper scope.
This is a Triangle barrel rifle.

He was sighting in his scope..shot right about 3" at 100 yards. Shot again and that one was about 1" away
Adjusted scope 3 clicks.. which would move it only 3/4".. moved 2" down and 3/4 to the left.

6 more clicks and it went 4" higher and 4" more to the right..he adjusted the scope the wrong way.

12 clicks of adjustment stuck it 4" high and dead nuts perfect right and left.
So 12 clicks brought him over 6" to the left..
No adjustment and one more shot put him put him 2" further left and 4" lower...

I told him that is factory cheap ammo for you.. i was watching him shoot through my scope.

Now i had enough and offered him some of my handloaded ammo.. he said you shoot it and see how it works for you.

I chambered 1 round of 168Amax in Lapua case with 42.5gr varget lit off by 210M primer.

A little high and to the right..chambered another it hit within 1/2" of the first.. stuck another down range now we have a clover leaf...
I let him shoot 2 of that load himself.. you could cover that with a quarter.
Wind was blowing like the dickens out there yesterday.

So that gun went from about 5" groups with Remington Core-Lokt ammo to Quarter size groups with hand loads.

He was thinking his scope was acting funny,,he would move the scope and the round would be in la la land.

That is why i reload.

TyMD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading to save money (we all know how well that works out). Now I just shoot more and have a nice stock pile of ammo in all my calibers and spend about the same amount for more and much higher quality rounds.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm right there with TyMD. I started with the same premise. Instead of buying ammo, I'm spending my money trying different rounds an powder. As TyMD stated, it does give me the opportunity to shoot more for less. To the point of the thread I would agree, making your own hand loads eliminates one potential cause of inaccuracy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom