"We're the only plane in the sky"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Nearly every American above a certain age remembers precisely where they were on September 11, 2001."

I was watching one of the morning news shows when they broke in with live coverage after the first plane hit one tower.

Actually saw the second plane hit in real time, people jumping from the burning floors, and then when the towers collapsed.

Terrible and terrifying imagery, still very vivid in my memory. :/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't see the people jumping, but watched an interview that was going on when the building was burning. In the background you could hear thumping. At the end of the interview, the Fire Chief told the reporter that sound was people hitting the ground. It got real then.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Nearly every American above a certain age remembers precisely where they were on September 11, 2001."

i mentioned this in another thread, but i find it interesting (in sort of that 'wow i'm starting to get old' sense) that for many college freshmen, 9/11 wasn't a significant event in their lives. It clearly changed their world, but they'd never know it because there were too young to remember things before or the moment those planes hit the towers.

That is one reason i liked this story so much, i think. It really shared the event a unique and powerful way.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This should be required reading in every U.S. High School History Class, at the very least. Things got real, and for a whole lot of people. I'll never forget where I was and what I was doing when it happened. When I saw plane #2 hit, I knew we had a real problem. Reading this makes me think how unimportant the day-to-day political trivia we talk about is just that; trivia.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Annual bump. If you haven't checked out the story in the first post, you should. An absolutely amazing, and simple, retelling of 9/11 from a wide variety of people involved on that day

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I woke up this morning remembering the day. It’s still fresh in my mind; watching it unfold on TV.

Almost all of this can be traced to the events of 1979, and the Iranian Hostage Crisis. I was shortly after floating around on a ship in the Indian Ocean, just waiting for the order. It never came, and we missed an opportunity to nip the tide of Islamic Terrorism from the start. We sure had a plan, just not the political will and foresight to carry it out. An opportunity squandered is an opportunity never to be had again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom