were to buy lead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
clip on wheel weight are to hard but if you can get some stickon wheel weight that are lead it will be pure lead.
I got lucky and got 150 lbs of old lead water pipe gave to in exchange for some fishing weights. and over the years have came across several old boot jacks and plumbers lead.

soonerfan66

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Dennis if I get up your way will let you know . With the hardness question my Trapdoor shoots a 405 gr hollow base bullet and if the lead is to hard the skirt will not expand to grip the rifling and will affect accuracy .

soonerfan66

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will check that out . Thought all wheel weights are same . Need to get something to check hardness or could I try scratching with my finger nail would that work . And I am not joking about the fingernail test would that work !!!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's probably no big deal, lots of shot contains a percentage of antimony. I'm just not sure why...

[EDIT]: FWIW, my stick-on weights came from O'Reilly auto parts a few years ago.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will check that out . Thought all wheel weights are same . Need to get something to check hardness or could I try scratching with my finger nail would that work . And I am not joking about the fingernail test would that work !!!

Oh no they're not all the same. I know BMW/Mini was using zinc weights exclusively whether they were clip-on or stick-on a few years back. If you melt zinc into your melt it'll ruin the batch and cleaning your stuff afterwards is a P.I.T.A.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably no big deal, lots of shot contains a percentage of antimony. I'm just not sure why...
Antimony in lead shot is to make the lead harder so when traveling down the tube and through the chokes they don't get flat spots which causes patterns to be erratic.
Steel shot doesn't deform, so a modified choke delivers a dense full choke pattern.

Latest posts

Top Bottom