Wet Ammo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So last month, after l left on my work tour, I had a water leak in my apartment. Toilet clean water feed blew apart and flooded my apartment with about 4 inches of water. The apartment manager didn't find it for about 24h. Took out my 3 neighbors as well. View attachment 165568

I had 15 fifty round boxes of Geco .22LR that got wet. Just realised it so they've been sitting damp/wet for a month. Are they toast? Or can they be dried and used?

Wax doesn't care about some cold supply water. It didn't change due to the water. Its there to lube the bullet. Heck it may have even have helped keep water out. I would try shooting them and if they don't fire no big deal. Certain brands of 22lr are very waxy. I am guessing they weren't submerged but the cardboard just absorbed water. I would give them a shot.

That looks like Geco ammo. In my memory it is generously "lubed" by nature. Dry it out. Then run through a box and if there aren't any misfires you should be good to go. I would put that on the "Use first" list as it could be more prone to corrosion over time after getting the bath though.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like Geco ammo. In my memory it is generously "lubed" by nature. Dry it out. Then run through a box and if there aren't any misfires you should be good to go. I would put that on the "Use first" list as it could be more prone to corrosion over time after getting the bath though.

Yep I'm taking some to the range tomorrow. Gonna run it through my m&p 22 compact. Hope it runs good. I'm just glad it wasnt the whole 5k brick that got soaked...lol

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My uncles were peanut farmers. Always had a box or three of 22lr on the dash of their pickups/farm trucks year round. Used to shoot a heck of a lot of jackrabbits, squirrels, etc. Never knew any of them to lose power and they didn't even know what air conditioning in a truck was.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: Went to the range yesterday. Ran a couple of hundred rounds of the wet stuff. Not a single problem at all. Gonna run some more tomorrow. Ran it through my S&W MP22 Compact. I like this little pistol. Never have had a single issue with ANY ammo I run through it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom