We've Only Got About Two Weeks to Go...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Down here is the 'ol southwest OK area, we call that a rattlesnake den... Or a mountain lion den, or....... I'll be on the Swather...lol
This place is real. Before we got our storm shelter, I always thought I'd use it as a last chance hidey hole if a tornado came through.
I think that's where our bats stay in the summer. Been in there a couple of times and looked around in the winter. It's not very big 6' X 10' maybe. Pretty clean on the inside, and we only have copperheads around here. Velvet tail rattlers just south though.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This place is real. Before we got our storm shelter, I always thought I'd use it as a last chance hidey hole if a tornado came through.
I think that's where our bats stay in the summer. Been in there a couple of times and looked around in the winter. It's not very big 6' X 10' maybe. Pretty clean on the inside, and we only have copperheads around here. Velvet tail rattlers just south though.

What!?!?!? I'd probably risk the rapture than risk the copperheads.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No problem. Just go East of Ponca city and turn where the old cottonwood tree used to stand at the corner. Go south until you see a creek on your right, and turn back east to where the old mare always stands next to the corral. Bunker is up the fence row about 130' in the side of the wet weather creek. Big pile of boulders there with a small opening. Come on in.

Is that just down the road a piece from where the old Johnston Barn was that burned in the 70s?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you seen the bats in there? Know what species they are, by any chance?

Have not looked in there in the summers. We have Mexican freetails mostly. We’ve found a couple dead ones over the years in our pool. At night we see them swooping in for a drink. Don’t know if they miscalculated their flight or were chasing bugs and flew into the water.
They fly around the mercury vapor light as well. We live on a bluff overlooking the river bottom. Lots of places as well as hollow trees in the area for them to live in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom