Whacking coyotes in the dark.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of shotgun? I think an Inertia Driven auto wouldn't be hard on it.
One actually is inertia, Benelli Vinci, also have a Rem 1100 gas gun and the other is a 590A1. I was wanting to use the Benelli but the mount is expensive and hard to find. If I do it, I'll probably go with the 1100. But I'm sure with a good turkey choke that 26" Benelli would roll them at 60 yards with a heavy magnum load.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok im going to play dumb here and now.
But i thought it was only lawful to hunt coyotes during the day nothing at night with artifical lighting, so is a night vison scope or thermal scopes even legal to hunt coyote with in OKLA.
I have a night vison scope that i was going to hunt with til i found somewheres that said it was illegal to use on coyotes, am i wrong and miss read the info.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a night vison scope that i was going to hunt with til i found somewheres that said it was illegal to use on coyotes, am i wrong and miss read the info.
Open statewide year-round, except it shall be
unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes
from dark to daylight with the aid of any artificial
light and/or any sight dog.

It has read that way for years, maybe decades. I don't think night vision existed when it was written.

I always thought that meant with the aid of a spotlight.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It has read that way for years, maybe decades. I don't think night vision existed when it was written.

You cut it off a bit too soon. This is from the 2017-2018 regs on their website.

COYOTE
Statewide Open year-round, except it shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes from dark to daylight with the aid of any artificial light and/ or any sight dog. No daily, season or possession limit.

Legal Means of Taking Firearms or Archery
• Daylight only: Any legal firearm or archery equipment.
Nighttime only: Hunters may possess a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or .22 caliber rimfire pistol and a light carried on the person while in pursuit of furbearers with hounds during the legal, open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license, unless exempt.
• Laser sights: Nothing in this section shall prevent a person from possessing a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or pistol with a laser sighting device while hunting or taking furbearers with hounds during legal, open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license.

This is from the PocketRanger app. So I'm confused but would throw down that app if confronted about it. :scratch:

IMG_5557.PNG

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok im going to play dumb here and now.
But i thought it was only lawful to hunt coyotes during the day nothing at night with artifical lighting, so is a night vison scope or thermal scopes even legal to hunt coyote with in OKLA.
How would you hunt them at night without a light or NV?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

How would you hunt them at night without a light or NV?
except it shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes from dark to daylight.
To me this means your not allowed to hunt them after dark without speacial permits, just my understanding and im by no means a expert on it since i havent hunted anything in years and havent kept up with the regs on it.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
except it shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes from dark to daylight.
To me this means your not allowed to hunt them after dark without speacial permits, just my understanding and im by no means a expert on it since i havent hunted anything in years and havent kept up with the regs on it.
From dark to daylight with artificial light. Night vision and thermal sights are not artificial lights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom