What’s the best brand Medicare Supplement Plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve using a Humana plan now. They have watered it down so much it pays almost nothing to Drs, Hospitals, Procedures, etc. I went to a local pharmacy for my Flu shot weeks ago and they would not pay saying that particular flu shot was not a brand they’d pay forHad it with them. I need the best coverage I can find for the following:

1. Drs, hospital, emergency room, urgent care.
2. Surgery, and everything associated with it.
3. If Medicare covers it I want this plan to cover it .

My RX plan pays ok but would be willing to switch that if necessary. I now have Silver Script.

I Have NO interest in ADVANTAGE plans.

I have VA benefits but no confidence in them for other than minor stuff and some of my RX. Stuff

For my age , mid70s. My health is good On only 4 RX meds. No blood pressure issues. Minor cholesterol ,
No diabetes. Overweight but active, still play golf, mow my on lawn with walk behind mower, and work in my shop almost daily. Made a13 hr drive by my self in one day recently. Reading glasses only

Your help is appreciated

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve using a Humana plan now. They have watered it down so much it pays almost nothing to Drs, Hospitals, Procedures, etc. I went to a local pharmacy for my Flu shot weeks ago and they would not pay saying that particular flu shot was not a brand they’d pay forHad it with them. I need the best coverage I can find for the following:

My RX plan pays ok but would be willing to switch that if necessary. I now have Silver Script.

I have VA benefits but no confidence in them for other than minor stuff and some of my RX. Stuff

For my age , mid70s. My health is good On only 4 RX meds. No blood pressure issues. Minor cholesterol ,
No diabetes. Overweight but active, still play golf, mow my on lawn with walk behind mower, and work in my shop almost daily. Made a13 hr drive by my self in one day recently. Reading glasses only

Your help is appreciated

When the wife and I went with a supplemental for our Medicare, we contacted USAA and they helped us with both the supplement and the prescription. As for the supplemental, if I remember right, the insurance card is listed as USAA Life Insurance Company, and our current prescription plan is with Wellcare.

We've had absolutely no problems with either in all of our "travels." Outside of Oklahoma, we have had medical treatments in Utah, Indiana, and Alabama.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Your help is appreciated

Find an Agent/Broker than can show you the difference in pricing, that is the only difference between plans with regards to coverage. Now some plans with Blue Cross Blue shield previously had some network restrictions but that was 5-6+ years ago, you'll have to verify what current carriers are doing.

A good agent should be able to point you to the medicare site and help you navigate their comparison tool for part D (drug plan). You put in your formulary/drugs in the site and they give you a comparison that shows which companies would suit you the best/employ less cost.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find an Agent/Broker than can show you the difference in pricing, that is the only difference between plans with regards to coverage. Now some plans with Blue Cross Blue shield previously had some network restrictions but that was 5-6+ years ago, you'll have to verify what current carriers are doing.

A good agent should be able to point you to the medicare site and help you navigate their comparison tool for part D (drug plan). You put in your formulary/drugs in the site and they give you a comparison that shows which companies would suit you the best/employ less cost.
Was told by a friend that agents are paid commission on this type thing? So with t(at in mind would my best interest be served?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was told by a friend that agents are paid commission on this type thing? So with t(at in mind would my best interest be served?
My understanding is that they are paid by the insurance companies. If they represent several companies, they probably don't have much if any interest in which plan you choose, they get a commission from all of them.

If that's wrong, someone who knows more of the inside of the business will be along and correct it.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

1. Drs, hospital, emergency room, urgent care. Medicare Part A is free
2. Surgery, and everything associated with it. Medicare Part B pays 80%
Supplements Pay the 20% that Medicare part B does not pay (A-B-C-D-E-F & Etc.)
Go to the Internet and read what each Supplement Pays (Depends on your lifestyle if you TRAVEL out of state of USA or not & Etc
Each different Supplement has the exact same coverage (The insurance company process claims, they do not set coverage limits)

Last edited:

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pay $165/ mo for plan G from Mutual of Omaha, they covered C4-C5 Mobic disc implant, left shoulder repair, regular doctor visits, my smashed foot and a bad bout of Covid hospital cost since I started using them 5 years ago, Started at $135/mo back then, currently $165/mo.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

They are paid commission, but it doesn't add to your cost. You can verify this by calling a carrier direct and asking for pricing, and referencing it any respective prices the agent gives you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom